First, I suggest making a list of things that are important to you.
Generally, most independent retirement communities are age-restricted to 55 and over.
Find out if the community is a month-to-month rental or a buy-in community. If deposits are required, how much are they and are they refundable?
While residents live independently, each community offers different amenities, activities and services. Ask about:
1. Transportation and frequency of outings for shopping, doctor visits and excursions.
2. What's the policy regarding pet ownership or overnight guest visits?
3. Dining options and prices
4. Are there resident managers with an emergency call system answered 24 hours a day?
5. What amenities are offered, such as a swimming pool, fitness center or exercise classes; a movie theater, arts and craft classes or other mentally stimulating activities; an in-house hair and nail salon, perhaps even a masseuse?
6. If I ever need it, can I have in-home health care or hospice work with me in my apartment?
Make an appointment to visit, have a meal when possible and ask if you can go on one of the trips with the residents. It's a great way to talk with people who live in the community while experiencing a nice day out.
Take your time and visit several locations. This is a big decision and you will know when you've found just the right place.
Don't forget to visit us at Beaverton Lodge Retirement!
12900 SW Ninth St.
Beaverton, OR 97005