A fire that engulfed a town home in Aloha early Thursday morning displaced a family of three and sent the mother, father and their 11-year-old boy to hospitals for treatment.

Calls to 911 at 4:48 a.m. reported smoke and heavy flames coming from a three-story town home located at 3159 S.W. Jaden Drive. The sounds of screams could be heard in the background as callers described the burning, three-story town home with occupants trapped inside, said Cassandra Ulven, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue spokeswoman.

Prior to firefighters' arrival, a Washington County sheriff’s deputy and neighbor attempted to reach the trapped occupants with a ladder, but smoke and fire conditions proved too dangerous. A firefighting crew from TVF&R's Aloha station was the first to arrive on scene within four minutes of being dispatched. They immediately began rescue operations and brought an adult female down a ladder from the third floor.

At the same time the Aloha crew was providing medical treatment to resident Jia Zeng, 40, firefighters from Beaverton Station 67 began to attack the fire and search for other occupants on the first and second floors. Firefighters from Hillsboro Fire Department's Engine 2 and TVF&R Station 67 found Zeng's 11-year-old son, Tengyuan Huo, in a second-story hallway and brought him out the front door, Ulven said. Moments later, firefighters searching the third floor found the boy's father, Gang Huo, 40, and brought him out through a third-story window.

All three were treated on scene by paramedics from TVF&R and Metro West Ambulance, with CPR administered to the father and son before they were transported by Metro West Ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Hospital. Zeng was transported to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Southwest Portland, Ulven said.

Because of the rapid response time, aggressive firefighting efforts and the presence of a fire wall, the fire did not spread to the adjacent town home. Most of the damage to the fire unit occurred on the first-floor garage, where investigators believe the fire started. Fire extended to the second floor, and heavy smoke permeated every level of the affected town home. The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes, hot spots remained for hours after the blaze started.

Investigators remain on scene examining material evidence and burn patterns to determine the exact cause of the fire. There is no damage estimate at this time.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine