crime log for this week
• A thief entered a Chevrolet Express parked Jan. 18 in the 6000 block of Southwest Arctic Drive and caused $1,000 worth of damage to the ignition and $750 in damage to the dashboard.
• Police recovered a stolen $1,000 excavator bucket Jan. 18 that was sold with other scrap metal to Far West Fibers in the 10000 block of Southwest Denney Road. Employees discovered the bucket with the 'E and S' insignia of Emerson and Son's on it in a large pile of scrap metal they were processing. The business contacted the construction company to return the bucket. The construction company said the bucket went missing sometime after Dec. 14, 2011, from a Beaverton site.
• A thief smashed a $200 window of a Toyota RAV parked Jan. 17 in the 2000 block of Southwest Cedar Hills Boulevard and snatched a red handbag containing $25 worth of clothing
• A vandal slashed three snow tires of a Mercedez 300 parked Jan. 17 at Burlington Coat Factory in the 9000 block of Southwest Cascade Avenue. It will cost the victim about $600 to replace the tires.
• A thief shattered a $250 window of a Toyota pickup parked Jan. 17 in the 4000 block of Southwest Western Avenue and stole a black backpack containing school items. The thief then ditched the backpack in a nearby stairwell, where police recovered it and returned it to the victim.
• A thief smashed a $250 window of an Audi A4 parked Jan. 17 at the Dolphin II Gentlemen's Club in the 10000 block of Southwest Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and stole an $800 Motorola XY Board and $30 backpack.
• A vandal caused $500 worth of damage to a community mailbox either late Jan. 16 or early Jan. 17 in the 16000 block of Southwest Estuary Drive. Because of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday the thief did not steal any mail as none was delivered that Monday.
• Beaverton police arrested a 41-year-old transient man Jan. 12 after he reportedly threw rocks at several windows at the Sunset Transit Center in the 10000 block of Southwest Barnes Road and called emergency dispatch to report the crime. Kevin Scott McQueen was lodged in the Washington County Jail on a first-degree criminal mischief charge for breaking three windows at the transit center valued at $2,000. Upon arrival, police met with McQueen and noticed a couple broken windows on the parking structure building and another broken snack shack window. McQueen told police he 'broke the windows' because he wanted to go to jail. He then pointed out the rocks he used, which were on the ground. He also admitted to police that he wanted to go to jail because it was cold and he wanted a warm place to stay for the night.
• A thief snatched a $200 phone and $450 pair of prescription glasses from a men's locker room bench early Jan. 12 at the 24-Hour Fitness in the 1000 block of Northwest Waterhouse Avenue.
• A thief entered a Ford Ranger parked Jan. 11 and 12 in the 7000 block of Southwest Murray Boulevard and stole a $90 Leatherman multi-tool, 38-piece impact driver accessory set, open-top tool carrier, pair of gloves, a $269 impact driver kit, eight-piece plier set, two utility knives, $119 digital amp meter, pair of sunglasses, valet key, flashlight, tape measure, torpedo level, stud finder and an eight-piece screwdriver set.
• A thief shattered a $200 window of a 2007 BMW parked Jan. 11 at Kohl's in the 11000 block of Southwest Canyon Road and stole a $100 jacket and $100 navigation system.
• A thief smashed a window of a Toyota Siena parked Jan. 11 in the 9000 block of Southwest Cascade Avenue and snatched a purse containing a wallet, driver's license, three credit cards, a Social Security card, Oregon Trail card, $20 movie gift card and a $50 red Pendelton scarf.
• A vandal used a permanent marker to write an offensive sexual comment on the wall in front of a woman's apartment Jan. 11 at the Spencer House apartments in the 13000 block of Southwest Larch Place. This was not the first time the tenant has been the target of sexual harassment. Similar offensive graffiti appeared on the same wall near her apartment door on Oct. 18, 2011.
• A vandal pulled the wires of a cable box on the side of a home Jan. 11 in the 16000 block of Southwest Emeraldview Street, terminating the victim's cable service and causing $100 worth of damage.
• A thief smashed a $200 window of a Honda Civic parked Jan. 11 at LA Fitness in the 2000 block of Southwest Hocken Avenue and stole a $30 backpack containing a $500 pair of Oakley sunglasses and paperwork.
• A thief entered a Honda Accord parked Jan. 10 in the 13000 block of Southwest Lisa Lane and stole about $50 worth of clothing from a bag that the victim planned to donate to the Goodwill.
• Thieves stole two bikes locked in a stairway alcove Jan. 10 at the Progress Ridge Apartments in the 12000 block of Southwest Horizon Boulevard. One of the bikes was a $450 Escape female road bike, and the other was a $600 Cannondale male F700.
• A vandal shattered a $200 window of a Honda Civic parked Jan. 10 at The Round at Beaverton Central in the 12000 block of Southwest Millikan Way.