Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Aloha boy hospitalized after barbecue-lighting explosion

Injuries are not life threatening

A 6-year-old Aloha boy was badly burned in a Sunday afternoon explosion involving a charcoal-fired grill being lit with powerful liquid fuel.

Washington County Sheriff's Deputies were called to a family barbeque at a residence in the 20000 block of Southwest Rock Road in Aloha, an area of the Enhanced Sheriff's Patrol District, at 4:01 p.m. on Easter Sunday. Deputies responded and found a 6-year-old boy being treated by Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue for burns over a large area of his body.

The boy's mother was reportedly re-lighting charcoal briquettes with a highly explosive liquid fuel. The can of fuel caught fire from the briquettes and exploded, causing the fiery liquid to burn the boy, who was standing nearby, said Sgt. Bob Ray, a sheriff's office spokesman.

Investigators discovered a 1-gallon can of 'Top Fuel' torn apart from the explosion. The fuel is a mixture of high-octane gasoline commonly combined with nitrous oxide as an added power booster and used as engine fuel for high-powered remote-controlled cars and airplanes.

The boy was transported by air to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Northeast Portland with non-life threatening injuries. No criminal charges have been filed, Ray said.

The sheriff's office reminds residents to read all instructions on products and use only the approved ignition source for grills or other controlled fires.



Local Weather

Fair

61°F

Beaverton

Fair

Humidity: 70%

Wind: 0 mph

  • 15 Sep 2014

    Mostly Clear 90°F 55°F

  • 16 Sep 2014

    Partly Cloudy 81°F 58°F