Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Oily rags cause of Aloha pickup truck, house fire


No one injured when oily rags in truck bed catch fire and spread to house

by: TUALATIN VALLEY FIRE & RESCUE - A pile of oily rags spontaneously combusted in the back of this pickup truck on Friday evening, creating a fire that spread to the house it was parked next to.Spontaneous combustion of oily rags caused a fire in a pickup truck that spread to a house on Southwest 192nd Avenue in Aloha on Friday evening, a Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue investigator determined.

An attentive neighbor made the first call to 911 at 6:19 p.m. on Friday to report a truck on fire parked next to a home at 6597 S.W. 192nd Ave. The caller reported seeing flames from the back of a pickup truck bed, extending into the cab and onto the home. The fire engine from Aloha Station 62 arrived to find a pickup truck fully-involved in fire near the back of the home.

Firefighters rapidly extinguished the truck fire but quickly transitioned to an interior fire attack to reach and control the blaze that had reached into the attic. Within 10 minutes, crews had the fire knocked down and under control. Additional crews searched the home and found no one inside.

Approximately 25 firefighters, including TVF&R volunteers, responded to the fire.

There is no damage estimate available at this time.