Candidate forums coming up next week
Candidates will appear jointly at several Washington County forums in the coming week.
Washington County Public Affairs Forum will have at least two of the three candidates seeking the nonpartisan office of commissioner of the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries on the May 15 ballot. That forum starts at 11:30 a.m. Monday, April 2, at Golden Valley Restaurant, 1520 N.W. Bethany Blvd., Beaverton. Lunch can be ordered from the menu.
Scheduled to appear are Val Hoyle, a former state representative from Eugene, who sought the Democratic nomination for secretary of state in 2016, and Tualatin Mayor Lou Ogden. Union County Commissioner Jack Howard, also on the ballot, has not responded according to organizers.
The incumbent is Brad Avakian of Beaverton, who is not seeking re-election. Avakian has been in the position 10 years.
On Thursday, April 5, the forum will join the League of Women Voters of Washington County and the League of United Latin American Citizens to sponsor a candidate fair at the Hillsboro Civic Center, 150 E. Main St.
Organizations and candidates will sponsor tables from 4 to 6 p.m.
After 6 p.m., a program will get underway. Questions have been submitted in advance to candidates for five offices: Washington County board chair; county commissioner District 2 (northeast); county commissioner District 4 (west); Metro Council president, and Metro Council District 4 (most of the county, except northeast and southeast).
Questions may be taken from the audience, which will submit them to a moderator.
The program is scheduled to end about 9 p.m.
In addition, Washington County community participation organizations will sponsor their own program for the two candidates for District 4 commissioner. That program will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, April 3, in Old Town Church Forest Grove, 2224 15th Ave.
• Washington County board chair: Ryan Deckert, Kathryn Harrington, Shabba Woodley, all of Beaverton; Bob Terry of Hillsboro. Incumbent Andy Duyck is not seeking re-election.
• Washington County Commissioner, District 2 (northeast): Greg Malinowski of Bethany, two-term incumbent; Pam Treece of Beaverton.
• Washington County Commissioner, District 4 (west): Kim Culbertson, Jerry Willey, both of Hillsboro. Incumbent Bob Terry is running for board chair.
• Metro Council president: Lynn Peterson of Lake Oswego; Michael Langley of Portland. Incumbent Tom Hughes of Hillsboro is barred from seeking re-election.
• Metro Council District 4 (most of Washington County except northeast and southeast): Dana Carstensen of Hillsboro; Juan Gonzalez of Cornelius. Incumbent Kathryn Harrington of Beaverton is barred from seeking re-election.