Daily News Where you Live
Fire sparked by cigarette butt leaves 8 without a home
The fire has been completely extinguished -
Seven adults and at least one child have nowhere permanent to stay after a stray cigarette butt sparked a two-alarm fire at a Portland apartment property on Saturday, Aug. 27.
Portland firefighters responded to the blaze at 5011 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Highway around 6:45 a.m. this morning. They found flames burning on the back portion of one apartment, and more fire in the shared attic of two other units.
After ensuring that the complex was fully evacuated and that no one was injured, firefighters cut a ventilation hole in the roof, allowing hot gases to dissipate and helping to extinguish the fire.
Aid workers from the American Red Cross arrived at the scene and will provide temporary shelter, food, clothing, comfort kits and recovery information to the affected individuals.
According to a press release, three of the buildings four units have been rendered uninhabitable due to the blaze.