Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Beaverton apartment fire started outside

Investigators point to several potential sources for early Sunday morning fire near Hall Boulevard.


SUBMITTED PHOTO - Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue firefighters doused an early Sunday morning fire off Hall Boulevard in Beaverton. Cooking appliances were among the potential sources identified.Fire investigators have narrowed down the origin of a weekend fire at a Beaverton apartment complex that displaced 10 residents, but they haven't yet been able to pinpoint the exact cause.

The fire, first reported shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, started in an outdoor patio courtyard area at the complex on Southwest 125th Avenue off Hall Boulevard.

Ignition sources that might have started the fire included both charcoal and propane barbecues, a propane crab cooker and turkey fryer, or a nearby neighbor who smokes, according to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue officials.

The fire broke windows as it climbed the exterior wall and then entered the living and attic spaces. The fire then consumed about 70 percent of the building's roof.

Damage was so extensive that the building appears to be a total loss, fire officials said.

No one was injured and the American Red Cross is assisting some of the residents who lost their homes in the two-alarm blaze.

The apartment building did not have residential sprinklers, which were not required at the time it was built. Sprinklers can reduce the odds that people are injured or major damage is caused in such fires.

JW_DISQUS_ADD_A_COMMENT