Tuesday morning fire burns two-story home in Oak Hills
A family of five is displaced, but no one is injured
There was significant damage but no injuries reported from an overnight fire in Oak Hills that burned a two-story home.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue teams received a call from the Oak Hills neighborhood at 1:48 a.m. Tuesday. A neighbor reporting that the side of the home next door was on fire and that a nearby fence was starting to catch fire as well.
Firefighters reported seeing a column of black smoke and the glow of flames from two blocks away, and the first arriving crew from Station 64 pulled into a cul-de-sac and found a two-story home with 25 to 30 feet of flames coming off the left side of the house. The fire had also spread to the garage, a fence and was threatening the house next door.
Crews quickly began attacking the fire on the side of the house and fence, protecting the home next door and then transitioning to fight the interior fire. Searches of the house confirmed that no one was in the home and everyone a family of five and their dog had exited safely and were outside the home. The family said that they were awakened by the sound of their smoke alarms and the smell of smoke.
Due to the location of the fire, a gas meter was disabled and led to the release of natural gas. Crews positioned themselves to keep the gas-fed fire isolated while working with NW Natural to shut off the supply line.
Investigators remain on scene working through material evidence, conducting witness interviews and analyzing burn patterns to determine a cause and calculate a damage estimate.
Hillsboro Fire & Rescue responded to this incident to provided mutual aid. NW Natural and PGE assisted in securing utilities, and the Washington County Sheriffs Office aided with traffic control.