Residents escape unharmed from Farmington Road house fire
Blow torch being used to burn weeds likely started Sunday evening blaze
A fire likely started by a resident burning weeds with a propane torch damaged a home on Southwest Farmington Road on Sunday. Residents safely exited the house and escape injuries.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched at to 16030 S.W. Farmington Road in Beaverton at 7:38 p.m. after multiple calls to 911 reported heavy grey/black smoke coming from the house. Four minutes after being dispatched, Engine 67 arrived to find heavy smoke and flames on the rear side. The crew initiated fire attack, while the Truck 67 crews searched all floors and confirmed all residents had exited the home safely with no reported injuries. Additional units arrived to assist, and the fire was under control just after 8 p.m., a Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue spokesperson said.
After reviewing the scene and interviewing residents a male and female adult and their daughter and witnesses, the most probable cause of the fire is a propane torch the resident used to burn weeds around the exterior of the home. Although he was also wetting down the area with a garden hose, the resident said the fire suddenly spread to vegetation next to the house and ignited its exterior cedar siding.
The fire then quickly spread to the roof, which is a combination of ceramic tiles on top of cedar shingles. Firefighters spent considerable time removing the tiles and cedar shakes to ensure there were no hidden fires that could reignite. A private company was responsible for a fire watch on Sunday evening as a precaution.
The couple renting the house have renters insurance.
Approximately 35 firefighters, including volunteers, responded to the incident.
Add a comment