Beaverton wins the final four weights by pin to pull away

BEAVERTON — The Beaverton wrestling team is charting a new course in 2013.

A new and successful course.

The Beavers traveled another leg on that journey when they knocked off Forest Grove 48-30 at Beaverton High School on Jan. 10, a win that lifted the Beavers’ District 1 record to 5-2, best among the five Metro League teams in the district.

by: MILES VANCE - FACIAL - Beaverton junior Justin Wakem gets a grip on Forest Grove's Jake Kemper during their match at 145 pounds last week at Beaverton High School. Wakem pinned Kemper in the third round.

“Our new coaching has really helped out. We’re doing things right in the wrestling room,” said Beaverton junior Justin Wakem, who won by pin at 145 pounds. “The difference between last year and this year is everything is more organized. We’re doing things right and it shows. We’re winning.”

“If you looked at our record the last two or three years, you’d think we probably wouldn’t have won the meets that we have,” said Beaverton sophomore Ryland Boyer, who clinched his team’s victory with a pin at 220. “We’ve come out, we’ve surprised everybody and we’ve worked our butts off so we could get to this point.”

The Vikings held their own early, though. They led 15-6 after four weights, and were still dead-even with the Beavers at 30-30 before Beaverton pulled away down the stretch. Beaverton’s Carey Flanigan kicked off the evening with a second-round pin of Ricardo Montanez at 106 pounds, but the Vikings took the next two weights by forfeit, then got a 10-7 win by Ivan Mojica-Flores over Jeremy Olsen at 126.

Beaverton’s Torben Billow cut his team’s deficit to 15-12 with a forfeit victory at 132 pounds, but the two teams split each of the following six weights to leave the score at 30-30. Forest Grove’s Cody Smith started that span with a 6-3 win at 138 pounds, and Wakem followed next with his third-round pin of Jake Kemper at 145.

“I’ve never lost to Forest Grove,” Wakem said. “I’ve found out that if I just come in loose, having fun, that’s the best way for me to wrestle.”

Viking Mariano Gonzales answered with a second-round stop of Bryan Gonzales at 152, Beaverton’s Stephen Marcille followed suit with a 51-second pin of Darren Schrader at 160, and Forest Grove’s Nathaniel Calderon came through with his team’s final win at 170, a second-round pin of Ryan Hill.

The rest of the night was all Beaverton, though, starting with Robbie Valentine’s second-round stop against Doug DeLeon at 182 pounds that tied the match for the final time at 30-30. Beaverton’s Isaiah McGatha stepped up next with a pin of Yovani Mora just 18 seconds into the third round of their match at 195, a win that put the Beavers into the lead for good at 36-30.

Boyer then sealed the team victory at 220 pounds, pinning Luis Fernandez 52 seconds into the second round there to put the match out of reach at 42-30.

“This was my second year that I wrestled the same guy that I got the clinching match against Forest Grove to win the dual,” Boyer said. We “showed heart out here tonight. We fought and we fought.”

Beaverton’s John O’Reilly then capped the evening in the 285-pound match by adding his team’s fourth straight pin, pinning Forest Grove’s Christian Rincon in just 1:26.

“When we have a full lineup, every weight competes really well for our team,” Wakem said. “I knew we could beat them. It just took some big matches.”

“Some of us had pains and injuries, but we toughed through it and you could tell that we did,” Boyer added. “The big guys especially, we know how to pull the guys together and pull it out in the end.”

To see a complete photo gallery from this event, please go to

Contract Publishing

Go to top