Fred Meyer customers evacuated after gas leak


At about 9 a.m. Tuesday, July 18, Sandy firefighters were sent to the Sandy Fred Meyer to handle a natural gas leak in the store.

According to Fire District spokeswoman Alice Lasher, a forklift accidentally struck the store's heating system, breaking the incoming gas line. That released 'full flow gas' into the back stock room area, Lasher said. Because there were areas where the amount of gas reached and exceeded the dangerous explosive limit, firefighters evacuated the entire building and ventilated it.

'There were no injuries, and it was a good practice for everyone,' Lasher said. 'It did present an excellent opportunity (for businesses) to remain vigilant and practice our 'escape plans.' '

SANDY POST: MATT RAWLINGS - Sandy receiver Chaise Carmony finds his way through traffic for a big gain in the teams 47-33 home win over Hillsboro on Friday.

Northwest Oregon Conference
5A football