In Mara Stine's Saturday, July 29, Outlook article, 'Smoke detector saves family from apartment fire,' she reports that a neighbor across the street reported flames. That unsung hero was Bill Todd, of 'THE' Jiffy Java coffee shop on what was formerly Orient Drive.
Bill, while serving coffee at the drive-up window, saw the flames, heard the glass windows exploding and went into action. After calling 9-1-1, he went to surrounding apartments, knocking on doors and yelling until people were awakened and could take necessary action for their safety. How nice to see that people will still step out for others.
Working smoke detectors are invaluable - so are good neighbors. Bill needs to receive commendation from the Gresham Fire Department.