High-speed getaway flops as police nab man on MAX


A high-speed chase on the Sunset Highway Saturday evening ended with the arrest of a 21-year-old Hillsboro man and his 24-year-old girlfriend.

Beaverton police arrested Titus T. Misa, 1301 N.E. Lincoln St., Hillsboro, at about 7:22 p.m. Saturday after a harrowing 20-minute chase along Southwest Murray Boulevard, onto the Sunset Highway toward Portland and, finally, on a westside light-rail train, where Misa was caught.

He was charged with reckless driving, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine), reckless endangering, theft of service, attempting to elude a police officer and possession of a stolen vehicle.

In addition, Misa had several outstanding felony warrants.

Also arrested in the incident was Aundi R. Callender, 1930 N.W. 143rd Ave.

She was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, theft of service and seven counts of identity theft.

She also was lodged in the Washington County Jail.

Beaverton Police Officer Bryan Dalton estimated that during part of the chase, the 2004 Camry Misa was driving hit speeds of about 100 mph, weaving through traffic and forcing other drivers to slam on their brakes to avoid collisions.

Dalton said the chase began at about 6:55 p.m. when he spotted the gold Camry with no license plates driving north on Murray Boulevard. Dalton recognized the driver as Misa, who had a handful of warrants for his arrest.

Dalton said he followed the Camry for a short distance and turned on his overhead emergency lights.

The Camry continued to speed along Murray at about 45 mph, heading for the Sunset Highway.

When the cars reached the highway, the Camry headed east at a high speed, sometimes exceeding 75 mph in busy traffic.

At one point, the Camry slowed and pulled onto the right shoulder, looking like it was stopping for the police car. The Camry only feigned the stop, speeding off as soon as the patrol car slowed also.

Dalton said he broke off the pursuit when he realized the Camry's driver was endangering the other cars on the road. A Portland Police Bureau officer spotted the Camry a short time later abandoned in the parking lot of the Oregon Zoo.

Police speculated that the driver and his female passenger fled the car and hopped aboard a TriMet light-rail train in the zoo's underground station.

Dalton and another police officer went to the Sunset Transit Center and waited for the train. When it arrived, they told the driver to keep the doors shut while they searched each car for the Camry's driver.

They found him in the last car, with the young woman. Misa surrendered without incident and was taken into custody. He and the woman did not have valid TriMet fares, so they also were charged with theft of service.

After the arrest, TriMet said another passenger found a binder that belonged to Misa under his seat. Inside police found methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia.

Inside the Camry police found pages with names and Social Security numbers written on them.

They linked the papers to Callender, charging her with identity theft.