A last-minute LO field goal goes wide
by: Vern Uyetake, Southridge's David Smith runs past Laker defenders for a big gain on a third
quarter drive that led to a touchdown and a 14-7 Skyhawk lead. Southridge
held on win 14-13 in Lake Oswego.

LAKE OSWEGO - David Smith rushed for 136 yards and Marcus Anderson contributed a key first-half interception that led to a touchdown as Southridge outlasted Lake Oswego for a 14-13 victory on Friday.

Lake Oswego had a chance to win the game with 12 seconds remaining but Pat Barry's 34-yard field goal attempt was barely wide left. All Southridge had to do at that point was kneel down on the final play to run out the clock.

The Skyhawks' defense played a key role in the game, especially in the first half when they held the host Lakers scoreless. The most important play of that half came when Anderson intercepted a pass thrown by the Lakers' Duncan White and raced 65 yards to the Lake Oswego 5. One play later, Kevin Coleman outran the Lakers to the leftside pylon to score the game's first touchdown late in the first quarter.

After struggling offensively in the first half, the Lakers (1-1) scored their first touchdown just three plays into the third quarter. Running back Will Darkins got the score on a 49-yard off-tackle play in which he made a nifty move to the outside and outran the Southridge secondary down the right sideline.

The Skyhawks didn't waste any time regaining the lead, though. On its next series, Southridge marched 75 yards in nine plays and running back Paul Werhane picked up the final yard for the score. Mitchell Edwards then tacked an the extra point that turned out to be the difference in the game.

Lake Oswego put together a similar drive on its next possession, driving 66 yards in 15 plays. Twice during that drive, the Lakers went for it on fourth down and Darkins, who finished with a game-high 153 yards, converted both times with short gains. He also got the call on the final play of the drive, a 1-yard plunge that cut Southridge's lead to 14-13.

With a chance to take the lead, Lake Oswego coach Steve Coury then opted to go for two points. White sprinted right and appeared to have receiver Ryan Shepherd momentarily open in the corner of the end zone, but Edwards converged quickly and knocked the ball down.

Lake Oswego got the ball back at its own 17 with 6:32 left in the contest. The Lakers then proceeded to run out almost the remainder of the clock with an 18-play drive that again required two fourth-down conversions. However, the drive ran out of steam at the Southridge 17 and the Lakers were forced to attempt a field goal with 12 seconds remaining. But Barry's kick was no good.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine