I didn't know much about Cub Scouts when my son, Robby, joined Cub Scout Pack 128 in first grade. Since then I have been delighted to learn that Cub Scouts is about developing the whole child and is grounded in family, friends and fun. Being part of a den with other boys the same age is a great way to make friends in the early years of school. It also is a fun way for parents to spend quality time with their sons.
Some of the highlights of the last few years (and there were many) include:
* Camping at the Oregon Coast with the Cub Scouts and their families
* Learning about coyotes, bats and other native animals at Tryon Creek's Scout Night
* Collecting food for the hungry
* Creating a race car and racing it in the annual Pinewood Derby
* Holiday caroling with friends and families
* Meeting Luna the Owl from the Oregon Zoo and dissecting owl pellets
* Participating in a mock trial at the United States Federal Court House
* Meeting members of the U.S. Coast Guard and learning what they do
* Selling wreaths to earn money for the pack (all dens from 1st to 5th grade)
* Making a bat house
* Learning about our community, our state and our country
* Marching in the Lake Oswego 4th of July parade
* Going to Cub Scout camp in the summer with fellow Cubs and their parents
* Watching a Portland Beavers baseball game, meeting the players and camping at PGE Park
We are very fortunate to have wonderful Cub Scout leaders. Dave Chandler is the Cub Master for Pack 128. Den leaders are: Alec Holser and Lanette Bernards (5th Grade Webelos), Jim Wrenn (4th Grade Webelos), Fran Chandler and Pam Montoya (3rd Grade Bears), and Dave Schoeberl (1st Grade Tigers). (There currently is an opening for den leader of the 2nd Grade Wolves). These leaders are experienced Cub Scout leaders and will coordinate participation by the boys and parents in their respective dens.
My son is very proud to be a Cub Scout. We invite you to join our Cub Scout family for the 2006-2007 Scout Year. Enrollment forms for Pack 128 will be available at Forest Hills' Back To School Night and at our Pirate Regatta. Please note that your sons do not need to attend Forest Hills Elementary to join. All boys that register will receive a free boat kit that they can assemble and race in our Pirate Regatta on Monday, Sept. 18, at 7 p.m. at Forest Hills Elementary.
Shelley Lorenzen is a resident of Lake Oswego.