Corbett misses upset chance in second half
- Gresham Outlook - Sports
FOOTBALL WRAPUP - Barlow beats Clackamas 31-28 in overtime
Corbett fell 20-6 against bigger Class 3A Clatskanie, despite trailing by just a touchdown going into the second half.
Clatskanie made a key goal-line stand to prevent Corbett from moving in front in the third quarter, stacking up the Cardinals on three straight plays inside the 5-yard line. The visiting Tigers put the game away with two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to build a 20-0 margin.
Corbett's Kevin Greenslade ended the shutout bid with a 2-yard touchdown run with 2:14 left.
• In Mount Hood Conference action, Barlow running back Malcolm Johnson broke loose for a 51-yard touchdown run to tie the score with about six minutes to play and Barlow went on to win the game on a 19-yard field goal by Kevin Cook.
• Gresham was shutout 20-0 at Aloha. Gophers' running back Peter DeBois gained 87 yards on 13 carries.
• Centennial had difficulties stopping the Lakeridge passing combo of quarterback Robbie Kool and receiver Taylor Young. The duo connected on three scores as the Pacers rolled to an easy home win. Kyle Wirkuty led the way for Centennial's ground game with 69 yards on nine carries.
• West Linn held on for a close win despite the efforts of David Douglas quarterback Greg Carradine, who carried the ball 17 times for 235 yards and 2 touchdowns.
• Sunset knocked off Sandy 49-36, as Apollos' running back Tim Molloy found the end zone four times highlighted by a 49-yard touchdown run for a 42-28 lead early in the fourth quarter.
Sandy quarterback A.J. Schnell tried to mount a comeback with a 6-yard touchdown run and a 60-yard scoring strike to Andrew Duggins in the closing minutes.
Expanded football coverage appears in the Saturday, Sept. 16, issue of the Gresham Outlook.