The Bowmen take a 1-0 lead, but St. Helens rallies to score the 2-1 victory
by: Jaime Valdez, STAYING TOUGH — A wall of Sherwood players blocks a free kick attempt by St. Helens’ Carson Barlett in last week’s match at Sherwood. The Lions scored a 2-1 win.

SHERWOOD - The opportunities were there.

The Sherwood boys soccer team simply couldn't take advantage. And any momentum the Bowmen took into halftime with a 1-0 lead quickly vanished early in the second half as St. Helens rallied for a 2-1 victory in the Northwest Oregon Conference opener for both teams last Thursday at Sherwood High School.

Sherwood missed multiple chances to build a larger halftime margin after controlling the tempo before the intermission. But the Bowmen only capitalized once on Tim Hohnbaum's goal in the 17th minute.

That was quickly matched just under four minutes into the second half with a goal off a St. Helens corner kick.

'We came out flat and didn't mark up on a corner kick,' Sherwood sophomore midfielder Kameron Beeks said. 'That took all of the momentum away. They just picked up more and more momentum and we didn't know how to stop it.'

The Lions remained on the attack throughout the second half and scored the difference maker in the 66th minute to steal away a victory.

'They came out more fired up and got the early goal and that changed the momentum,' Hohnbaum said. 'It was kind of upsetting we couldn't finish (in the first half). Another goal would've made a big difference.'

Senior forward Nate Hickok provided most of the Bowmen's opportunities in the first half with several well-placed throw-ins. But Sherwood was unable to get on the other end of any of them.

'We probably had 20 balls inside the six-yard box or close,' Sherwood coach Dave Austin said. 'We really should've put them away in the first half.

'We got a lot of throws, a lot of corners, a lot of shots. We just couldn't get the final piece.'

Hohnbaum scored the Bowmen's only goal 17:07 into the game. He dribbled to just outside the 18-yard box and banged a shot off a teammate. The ball quickly deflected back to Hohnbaum, who dribbled around the crowd to the right and fired a low-flying shot inside the left post for a 1-0 lead.

'I was amazed I got it,' Hohnbaum said. 'I just ran around the defenders and one-timed it into the corner.'

Sherwood continuously threatened the Lions' goal throughout the first half. In the sixth minute, Hickok's throw-in from near midfield was headed toward the top-right corner of the goal but St. Helens keeper Sam Miller grabbed the ball with outstretched arms.

Moments later, Hickok's throw-in from 30 yards out on the left sideline bounced high off the turf and clanked off the cross bar.

'He gets it in there,' said Austin of Hickok's throw-in. 'He makes teams think twice about kicking it out of bounds. We just need to finish.'

In the 24th minute, Sherwood sophomore Kyle Smurdon sent a nice pass up to Beeks, who beat his defender up field before being caught from behind. Beeks still managed to get a shot off from 15 yards out, but the ball sailed two feet over the cross bar.

Ten minutes later, Hohnbaum's shot from 25 yards out looped just over the cross bar and the Bowmen settled for a 1-0 halftime lead.

That quickly disappeared 3:47 into the second half when Aaron Paulson's corner kick ticked off Carson Bartlett's head to Brad Stewart, who finished into the right side for a 1-1 tie.

Sophomore goalkeeper Quinn Hess made a diving stop of Bartlett's sliding poke toward the left post in the 54th minute to preserve the tie.

But St. Helens continued to push and secured the go-ahead goal in the 66th minute. Paulson passed ahead to Clark Lawrence, who beat two defenders and flicked a shot from 10 yard out across the mouth of the goal and into the netting on the right side.

Sherwood had chances at the equalizer, but came up empty. The Bowmen's last shot came with four minutes left when Beeks' 35-yard free kick on the right hash cleared the wall and was on target, but easily grabbed by the Lions' keeper.

'I thought we could pull it out and go into overtime,' Beeks said.

On Tuesday, Sherwood fell 6-1 at Hillsboro. The Bowmen will be back in action today (Thursday) when they host Century in a league contest starting at 6:30 p.m. Sherwood plays at Parkrose on Tuesday.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine