by: Steve Relei, From the center span of the three bridges -- this one, over McLoughlin Blvd.

'3 Bridges' to open this month


The 'Three Bridges Project' portion of the Springwater Trail will open officially to the public on Thursday October 19, with a the ribbon-cutting event taking place 10:30 am-12 noon. The trail will extend the present Springwater Corrider Trail end westward to S.E. 19th Avenue and Ochoco Street (across from the Goodwill Outlet store). The public should be quite impressed with the work that has been done. The trail is nicely paved and smooth, and the three bridges cross over Johnson Creek, McLoughlin Boulevard (Highway 99-E), and the Union Pacific railroad mainline. Since the trail and bridges are elevated, besides offering a nice place to bike and/or walk, there are some nice views of the surrounding area. The segment between S.E. 32nd and 45th Avenues in Ardenwald, adjacent to Eastmoreland, will continue to be closed for sewer construction until at least November 1, but it is nice to be able to use the 'Three Bridges' part of the trail. Unfortunately, with the opening of something new, before it is even officially open to the public, some people feel they have to mark their territory with their graffiti, and there are examples. Other than that, I think the public will enjoy it immensely. More information can be obtained online at:

Steve Relei, S.E. Lexington Street, via e-mail

It's not just tiny horses anymore


My 3-1/2 year old son and I loved Rita Leonard's story about the artist who does the tiny horse installations on Portland streets [September BEE]. Here are photos of two we did on S.E. 30th between Cora and Gladstone!

Jack Rubinger, S.E. 30th Avenue, via e-mail

EDITOR'S NOTE: The photos Jack refers to indicate that the Rubingers have been tethering tiny tigers and tiny zebras to the horse-hitching ring!


I enjoyed your article about the Horse Project so much. Unfortunately, my Pinto Pal in front of the Sellwood Curves disappeared when I forgot to reign him in a couple weeks ago. But the landlady found him on the roof! He's gone again now, probably off to a more stable stable....and I've replaced him with a Goodwill Bins stray....large stuffed zebra, just a horse of another Lord of the Ring....thought you'd like to know...

Corinne Stefanick, via e-mail

Advice for late mailers


Both businesses and individuals often try to get things in the mail at the last minute, and many assume that the post boxes at the Sellwood Post Office, at the corner of Bybee and 15th, would be the best bet, short of going the main post office downtown. Wrong! The latest pick-up in the area is the drop-box across from the entrance to Reed College on Woodstock. The pick-up on Monday through Friday is 6:15 (later than the post office's post boxes). There is even a late Saturday pick-up at 7 pm. Why this occurs is probably lost in some historic negotiations with either the neighborhood or the college years ago. Once these times are set, the U.S. Postal Service is reluctant to change them. I tried once as president of a neighborhood association and finally just gave up.

Chuck Martin, S.E. Sellwood Blvd.

EDITOR'S NOTE: For those mailing at odd hours, you can mail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and even buy postage and postal supplies too, at the airport post office, just west of the Portland Airport terminal, eastbound. However any mail deposited there on Sundays will not go out till Monday.

House removed on Sellwood Blvd.


The house formerly at 728 S.E. Sellwood Boulevard was torn down on Sept. 21st; it came down within an hour. By 4:30 pm, there was little left of the house except for the dirt hole where the partial basement had been. The house was built in 1922, and measured only 768 sq. ft.; Chet Wertz, a plumber, and his wife Hazel, a homemaker, bought the house in 1947 and lived there 50+ years. Hazel died in 2001 and Chet died in 2003. They had no children. The house sold in August 2003 for $280,000 to Ron and Bonnie Kiggins of Estacada, who bought it to rent for a couple years, then tear down and build a new house. They're doing that now. What I have heard from their builder is that it is to be three stories plus basement, glass-fronted with balconies front and back, that the front of the house is partially curved, that it includes an elevator, some steel in the frame, and a two car end-to-end garage.

Rita Charlesworth, Sellwood, via e-mail

Neighbors got involved to catch the bad guy


A driver who was being chased on the west side of the Willamette for driving erratically and eluding the police crossed over the Sellwood Bridge [in mid-September] where he sideswiped a car on Tenino and proceeded to plow into a parked flatbed truck getting his Mercedes stuck. He abandoned his vehicle and ran down the street, with the lady who was sideswiped running after him saying 'stop that man'! The entire neighborhood got involved--calling 911, and chasing him, with four neighborhood men eventually tackling the guy and holding him down until the police arrived. It was amazing to see how involved the neighbors got.

Megan Williams, via e-mail

Generations educated at St. Agatha


I was gathering some statistics about St. Agatha School in Sellwood for a Hainley family project, and found a few things interesting. The first school year there was September 3rd, 1912, and St. Agatha ended that year with 48 students. Quite a few families have more than one generation of schooling there, and ours is a fourth-generation family: Genevieve Leipzig Hainley, 1941; Pat Hainley, 1965; my two children, Kim Hainley, 1996, and Justin Hainley, 1998, make the third generation…and, representing the fourth generation, Jered Hainley is now in kindergarten there! (Here's a photo of these five, gathered in September at St. Agatha's!) Third generation: Joan Twitchell Gilbertz, 1943, has had four children who graduated from St. Agatha, and how has two grandsons there; and Rita Thomossen Lampert, 1936, had six children at St. Agatha, and currently has one grandson there; and there are eleven families in their second generation at the school. In the 2006-07 school year there is a total student enrollment of 200.

Jan Hainley, Sellwood

A note of thanks


We would like to express our sincerest gratitude to the Sellwood Marimba Band for their fabulous performance Friday, September 15th, at the Duniway Ice Cream Social. Heidi Perry and her great group of middle schoolers volunteered their own time and energy to be a part of our school gathering. The musical entertainment provided a fun festive atmosphere and highlighted the excellence of this Sellwood program. We plan to continue to include Sellwood, as well as other area schools, to our school's events, to promote community bonding and awareness.

Tou Meksavanh; Duniway Principal Theo Downes Leguin; Duniway Foundation President Rossana Wong; Duniway PTA Co-President; Sister Bragdon, Duniway PTA Co-President, via e-mail

BEE memories of a quarter century ago


Thank you for your historical supplement by the estimable Eileen Fitzsimons, whose continuing work has given me perspective on the place where I have lived for 18 of the past 29 years. While I suppose Ms. Fitzsimons' writings hold one particular sort of appeal to memory for long-time residents and former residents, they also are of value for those who have arrived more recently in helping us understand better what we encounter and thus how to engage with the community constructively. Your own comments on the history of THE BEE also attracted my interest, and I thought I would share information on another aspect of the newspaper's history. I first came to Portland in 1977 to study at Reed College, and worked for several years on the student body's--shall we say--idiosyncratic weekly newspaper, The Quest, including a stint in 1980 as editor, elected illegally in absentia while on leave. Quest editors or editorial boards were and are elected by the student body at large, which is good for a spirit of democracy, and for editorial humility and humiliation, but not so good for journalistic professionalism.

At that time The Quest relied heavily on THE BEE for its physical production, contracting with the owners, the Prys, for typesetting and printing services, as well as advertising design on occasion. Unlike some other due dates at Reed, our copy deadline had to be taken seriously, because our weekly production schedule was tied to other work THE BEE's staff had to do. Our mad two-day whirl began with typing up recent submissions in consistent copy-edited form to join the few pieces that had come sooner. We rushed the texts over to THE BEE at S.E. 13th and Tacoma, to a second floor office-workroom that included several typesetting machines. Those machines at that time were something between today's word processors and older linotype machines. After our material had made its way through the queue, we then had to run back for the proofs, try to catch small corrections (sometimes on the fly at THE BEE's offices if we had not given them enough lead time) and return the corrected proofs for final typesetting.

The result was long glossy strips of paper with text the width of our columns, which were hurried back to the old Quest office by the Student Union (now the Paradox Café, for readers who may visit campus for events). Staff stayed up into the wee hours laying the paper out, literally cutting and pasting articles, ads, and art onto old-style white semi-cardboard layout sheets, with light blue grids that would not show up when the pages were photographed for printing. Form followed function, as the consistency of design quality paralleled that of editorial content. When finished, we brought the layout sheets back to THE BEE. The next day at some point, depending on our timeliness in getting the sheets back and on what else THE BEE had to do, we'd get the call and someone would go over to pick up our magically printed-and-bundled run of a thousand or twelve hundred papers.

Something that struck me was my memory of how the people at THE BEE treated us Reedie newspaper producers (some of us might have counted as student journalists, but mostly that would be to claim too much). What I recall is an attitude of friendly if bemused tolerance. There was a bit of practical education involved, mostly about the technical and time requirements of printing. Although it was a business relationship, we were not a very businesslike lot, and the level of turnover among Quest staffers due to our electoral system must have been ranged from inconvenient to a real headache. For some of us it was a window and a small path out of Reed's insularity, if a youthfully underappreciated one. While I am also grateful for the role the current incarnation of THE BEE plays and for its quality, and admire the production work that current Quest staffs do internally, I do mourn a little the loss of those weekly dashes back and forth from Eastmoreland to Sellwood. I can only hope that today's Reedies may have found or made other community connections fitting today's circumstances.

With thanks for making THE BEE a local paper of substance, usefulness, and quality, and with congratulations on your centenary, yours sincerely,

Chris Lowe (Reed '82), SE 39th Avenue, via e-mail

Won ice cream in the summertime


Saturday, September 2nd, in our little section of the Eastmoreland neighborhood, we held a back yard party in for which Dryers flew out 12 half gallons of their Slow Churned Ice Cream. Earlier in the year, I had written an essay entry to their contest, and was pleased to have won a 'Slow Churned Neighborhood Salute' cream and supplies for 100! We had a great time. Neighbors from the 36-39th blocks of Knapp Street, plus the 36th -37th block of Henderson were invited. All generations gathered in our wooded back yard; kids enjoyed our high tree swings, and adults gathered under several canopies to chat.

Jennifer L. Greenberg, via e-mail

All letters to the editor are subject to editing for clarity and available space, and all letters become property of THE BEE.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine