Police should rethink their protocol

Soapboxes are guest commentaries from our readers, and anyone is welcome to write one. Lacie L. Nash is a resident of Newberg.

Lukus Glenn's tragic death touched the hearts of many people, most of all mothers.

As mothers, we nurture these young men until their little bodies and minds are strong and mature. We plant them, water them and watch them grow. We are not without problems along the way. Sometimes big problems. But we get through them by going through them, and we tell ourselves that we are all the stronger for it. A mother's love is one of the strongest things in the world, unbendable and unbreakable.

Early Saturday morning, Sept. 16, Hope Glenn was in love with her son, feeling panicked, afraid and desperate that Luke was slipping away. Her desperation led her to the telephone, frantically dialing 9-1-1.

We, as mothers try everything we can to save our sons; we would go to the ends of the earth to protect them. We would die for them. That Saturday morning, Hope was making that journey for Luke, prepared, I'm sure, to walk to the ends of the earth or perhaps even die for him. We never in a million years think that we will actually have to give our lives for our children, but at the same time, we know as mothers that we would.

As the family huddled in their home, Luke struggled in the front yard to make sense out of his reality. As a pocketknife warmed his hand, he continued to struggle with reality. Only Hope knows what she was thinking when bullets boomed through the house. Truly every mother's nightmare was playing out in front of her eyes. Hope realized in a few very short minutes that the lifeline she had reached out for had now killed the life she sought to save.

I would venture to say with much certainty that any one of the three individuals in that house that night would have gladly given their lives for their 18-year-old son or grandson. They wanted more options, more time, and more communication. They wanted their son. They still want their son.

Hope, as a loving mother, most likely explored very quickly every reasonable option that she had that morning in protecting her family. We all wonder now if the Washington County Sheriff's deputies and Tigard police did?

It's truly sad when a young man dies, but it's even more tragic when a young man dies with a bold question mark after his name. Why?

As a community that cherishes our children, let's rethink why a mother lost her only child to a policeman's bullet. Let's rethink why that same mother blames herself for her son's demise, because she picked up the phone to dial 9-1-1.

This mother suffers a tragic unwarranted heartache, and that's not the death of her young son, but moreover the false notion that she may have caused it. This is a cruel cross to bear especially for a mother.

I would ask the police to please rethink their protocol. Every situation is unique and different. We all have precious children who sometimes cannot find their way in the storm. Please consider different vessels to guide our sons home for we depend on you in rough seas. Please don't let our beloved babies drown before considering if they are really unreachable.