The lowdown on events on events happening in Portland
• 'What are the Differences Between Townhouses, Rowhouses and Duplexes?' Community Education Brown Bag sponsored by the city of Portland Bureau of Development Services, noon to 1:30 p.m., 1900 S.W. Fourth Ave., second floor conference room. Call 503-823-1109, or visit www.portlandonline.com/bds.
• Birding Adventure at Deschutes-Columbia Convergence, early-morning birding trip and four-mile hike, 7 a.m. to noon, meets at Gateway Park and Ride Transit Garage, Exit 7 off Interstate 84 east. Call 503-241-3762 for directions.
• Portland Sacred Harp, 15th annual Shapenote Singing Convention, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., continues Oct. 15, Polish Library Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Ave., donations accepted. Call 503-504-0759, or visit www.portlandsacredharp.org.
• Ready to Rock and Roll at Pier Park, celebrates the redesign of the skatepark in Pier Park, 11 a.m., Pier Park, North Bruce Avenue between Lombard and James streets. Visit www.portlandonline.com/parks/.
• The Story of Babar, a free concert for families, 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Community Music Center, 3350 S.E. Francis St. Call 503-823-3177.
• 'Deadly Distortion,' first lecture in 'Palestine/Israel - How the Media and U.S. Foreign Policy Perpetuate the Conflict' series, 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., Central Lutheran Church, 1820 N.E. 21st Ave. Call 503-284-2331.
• Candidate forum, for Multnomah County Circuit Court judge, position 28, noon, Multnomah Building, 501 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., boardroom. Call 503-228-1675, or visit www.lwvpdx.org.
• Estate planning family workshop, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Montavilla Community Center, 8219 N.E. Glisan St. Call 503-823-4101.
• Hazelwood Neighborhood Association board meeting, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., East Portland Neighborhood Office, 1017 N.E. 117th Ave. Call 503-823-4550.
• Lents Neighborhood Association board meeting, 7 p.m., Pilgrim Lutheran Church, 4244 S.E. 91st Ave. Call 503-823-4550.
• Financial Planning Association, monthly membership meeting, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., $50, $35 members. Call 503-286-8350 for location, or visit www.fpa-or.org.
• Economic forecast for Oregon, presentation covers growth trends, the construction boom and business cycles, sponsored by the Downtown Portland Employer Council, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Melvin Mark Properties, 111 S.W. Columbia St., eighth floor conference center, $10 fee. Call 503-681-0204 to register.
• Middle East business seminar, hosted by the Portland State University library and PSU's Middle East Studies Center, 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., registration is $25 and includes parking and lunch. Call 503-725-4552, or visit www.lib.pdx.edu/mebs.html for location and details.
• Citywide landlord forum, speaker Jeff Bennett discusses the eviction process, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., East Precinct Community Room, 737 S.E. 106th Ave. Call 503-823-3505.
• Gospel Music Workshop of America, 6 p.m., continues Oct. 20-21, Maranatha Church of God, 4222 N.E. 12th Ave., $20 adults; $15 group of 10 or more. Call 503-288-8342.
• 'Insights from Behind the Microphone: Bad Interviews, Big Mistakes and How It All Turned Out,' Scott Simon, author and host of National Public Radio's 'Weekend Edition,' speaks for part of 'PSU Weekend,' 10:30 a.m. to noon Oct. 21, Smith Memorial Student Union Ballroom, 1825 S.W. Broadway, brunch tickets $30; lecture only $15 general public, $10 students. Call 503-725-4949.
• 'Oldest Continuous Thoroughfare of Lessons Learned,' entrepreneur Robert Pamplin Jr. speaks, 4 p.m. Oct. 26, University of Portland, Buckley Center Auditorium, 5000 N. Willamette Blvd. Call 503-943-7224.
Events are free unless otherwise noted.