Controversial deaths involving Portland cops
- Portland Tribune - News
• April 1, 2001 - Jose Santos Victor Mejia Poot, a 29-year-old Mexican immigrant, is shot and killed by Portland police after he escapes from a psychiatric hospital holding room and advances on officers with a metal rod.
• May 5, 2003 - Kendra S. James, 21, is shot by Portland police after she attempts to drive away from a traffic stop in North Portland. She was unarmed.
• March 28, 2004 - James Jahar Perez, 28, is shot by a Portland police officer as the officer's partner struggles to pull him from a car and Perez ignores police officers' commands to show them his hands. Perez was unarmed.
• Jan. 4, 2006 - A Portland police officer fires two shots at moving car, later determined to be stolen. Driver Dennis Lamar Young is killed.
• March 20 - Timothy Grant, of Medford, dies after police administer two Taser shocks to him. State medical examiner later rules Grant died of cocaine overdose and Taser shocks did not contribute to his death.
• Sept. 17 - James P. Chasse Jr. dies, in police custody, from multiple rib fractures and a punctured lung, after police chase him and he falls to a sidewalk, with a police officer possibly landing on top of him. Witnesses said they also saw police punch and kick Chasse.