Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Fire causes $20K damage in Old Town home

The Tuesday afternoon fire likely started in a trash can
by: Anthony Roberts, A fire crew from TVF&R surveys the damage shortly after this Tuesday fire in Old Town.

A small fire burned through an Old Town home Tuesday afternoon, sparing the structure but causing $20,000 in smoke and water damage.

Neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from the two-story home on the corner of Second and Pine streets in the afternoon, according to Karen Eubanks, spokesperson for Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, which responded to the fire. Investigators said the blaze likely started in a wastebasket near the kitchen, but since the area was badly damaged, investigators are waiting to conduct further interviews with the 33-year-old man who rents the 1901 home. The blue and gray home, located at 22415 SW Pine Street, sits directly across the street from the main entrance to Nottinghams of Sherwood catering.

Eubanks said investigators were unsure of exactly when the fire started, since it may have been smoldering for a while before the 911 call.

Many of the windows in the home were broken out, and Eubanks said there was smoke damage on both floors of the home, though one of the bedrooms was spared because the door was closed. The tenant has renter's insurance, according to Eubanks.