University of Oregon Ducks
- Portland Tribune - Sports
Next: Oregon (7-5) vs. Brigham Young (10-2), 5 p.m. Dec. 21, Las Vegas Bowl, Sam Boyd Stadium, ESPN
• Brothers Rex Doman, a junior linebacker, and Sam Doman, a freshman quarterback, as well as their cousin Shawn Doman, a junior linebacker, are on the BYU roster. Rex and Shawn played for Woodburn High, and Sam Doman for Canby.
• The Ducks have '14 or 15 (verbal) commitments,' coach Mike Bellotti says. He and assistant coaches have been focusing lately on snaring defensive linemen, wide receivers and a kicker. 'It's going very well,' he says. Bellotti says the Ducks are not necessarily looking at immediate needs (i.e., junior college help), but they might sign a JC linebacker and consider a JC receiver.
The quarterback the Ducks have been recruiting, Kellen Kiilsgaard of Auburn, Wash., has given his verbal commitment to Stanford.
• BYU quarterback John Beck has been named Mountain West Conference offensive player of the year, the second Cougar to win the award -the other being Tualatin's Luke Staley in 2001. Beck ranks fourth in the country at 319.1 passing yards per game.
• Oregon receiver James Finley, who has a bad knee, calls himself 80 percent ready for the bowl game.
'I think he'll be factored in (to the game plan), but he's still not very comfortable with his knee. It's tough when there's wobbliness and insecurity,' receiver coach Robin Pflugrad says. 'It's time to start seeing if we can count on him for the game plan.'
- Jason Vondersmith