Drivers should learn the rules
Just like the last police shooting, the one of James Jahar Perez is guaranteed to cause a big stir (Eyewitness to chaos, April 6). Since public hindsight is 20/20, I'm sure this summer will be a delightful mix of rhetoric and protesting.
Since we require the police to have extensive training and policies concerning every aspect of stopping a vehicle, securing a scene and investigating, I feel the Oregon Driver Manual should include some common sense rules on what to expect when stopped by a law enforcement officer. Granted, the rules are pretty simple and with the numerous police shows on TV, one might conclude that sitting still, keeping your hands in view and listening to orders from an armed officer might be common knowledge. But I guess not.
Linn's plightis no accident
I found the title to the piece on Multnomah County Commission Chairwoman Diane Linn laugh-out-loud funny (The accidental agitator, March 23).
Accidental agitator? This is the same Diane Linn who in January paid county workers for not coming to work during a snowstorm, and gave those workers that did come to work an extra paid day of vacation, all at taxpayers' expense. Was this also accidental agitation?
Fair or not, these two decisions were made behind closed doors, without public hearings or input, and come as a smack in the face to those she represents, whether they agree with her or not. Because of this, it won't be accidental when she is defeated in the next election Ñ if she isn't recalled first.
See little people as individuals
I am a dwarf in Portland who is not a member of the Little People of America, and does not want to be (Upwardly mobile, Weekend Life, March 26). I was a member in the past. I think they do a lot of good work, but found their insularity disturbing.
I found it interesting that your article stated that 85 percent of LPA's membership does not work, but depends on disability benefits. I have always considered it a point of honor to stand on my own two feet and have never wanted to apply for disability. While I have experienced periods of unemployment in a poor economy, I have always tried to get back to work as soon as possible.
My point is, now that the LPA is moving to the metro Portland area, I would ask that the average-sized members of the community resist the temptation to stereotype the 10 percent of short-statured persons outside the organization with the 90 percent who have joined. The LPA speaks for most, but not all, of the short-statured individuals in the United States. Please keep an open mind about the natures and values of the remaining 10 percent, and treat each of us as individuals.
I saw your article and my first reaction was 'Oh, no!' Now I am going to have more people trying to lump me with this group, when I wish to be recognized as an individual. Previously, when LPA conventions came to town, I made myself scarce from the downtown area.
I am a scientific researcher who identifies with people of like mind, rather than like body. I would ask that strangers meeting me on the street keep that in mind.
Laurel R. Jones
Potter campaigndoesn't need reform
Our city leaders have decided that the taxpayers should pay the price for campaign finance reform in future citywide elections (City courts 'clean campaign,' April 6). Anyone who believes in campaign finance reform during the current election has an important choice to make on May 18; elect a mayor who has based his campaign on involving the voter with limited resources, or elect one who has targeted donors with deep pockets via $1,000-a-plate fund-raisers.
Tom Potter's decision to limit campaign donations to $25 allows all Portlanders to participate equally in the political process Ñ both now, during the campaign, and afterward, when their access to City Hall may be based on the size of their pocketbook. I can't afford to dine with Jim Francesconi for $1,000 and I don't appreciate having my pocket picked involuntarily by current officeholders to fund their re-election. Campaign finance reform wouldn't be necessary if all politicians had Tom Potter's integrity.
County tax invitesprying into privacy
Wow! After reading the article 'Taxman bides time, hopes for the most' (March 30), I know that my friends who had intended not to pay the Multnomah County income tax are quaking in their boots. The tax-collecting gendarmes will soon be on their way. The county has outfoxed us and has managed to con an inattentive state Legislature into stripping the promised privacy from our supposedly confidential tax returns. I hope they at least have the decency to write that large and clear on the new versions of the tax forms.
Meanwhile, we must all work to get Don McIntire's initiative on the ballot, so that the county residents can repeal this unjust, regressive tax. How could we ever have passed this shameful tax, which imposes the same rate on the lowest paid person making over $2,500 as on the richest person in the county?