Procession to Forest Grove leads up to vigil, memorial service and burial
The public is invited to most events honoring sailor
Here is a synopsis of events honoring the life of Navy Hospital Corpsman Ryley Gallinger-Long of Forest Grove:
• Ryley's body is due to arrive at 3:30 p.m. today, Wednesday, Aug. 17 at Hillsboro Airport. A procession of vehicles will arrive in Forest Grove around 4:30 p.m., and community members are invited to gather near the big American flag on the east end of town to watch it go by, said Cody Brown, one of Ryley's close friends.
• Wednesday night at 9 p.m. mourners will gather on the lawn at Mcmenamins Grand Lodge, 3505 Pacific Ave., to remember Ryley during a glowstick vigil. Brown asks people to bring their own glowsticks, as well as extras for others.
• On Friday, Aug. 19, people can pay their respects to Ryley during a public viewing at Fuiten, Rose and Hoyt Funeral Home, Pacific Ave, from 4 to 7 p.m. A second viewing is set Saturday, Aug. 20 from 9 to 9:45 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 3661 Brooke St., Forest Grove.
• A public memorial service will take place at the Mormon church on Brooke Street Saturday, Aug. 20 at 10 a.m.
• Burial at Willamette National Cemetery, 11800 SE Mt. Scott Blvd., Portland, is scheduled for noon on Saturday, Aug. 20.
For the most up-to-date information, visit www.fgnewstimes.com.