Abderrahim Abdul Najjar stole officer's Taser during struggle
by: MULTNOMAH COUNTY, Abderrahim Abdul Najjar

Several officers with the Transit Division Police suffered minor injuries breaking up a fight shortly after midnight Sunday.

Abderrahim Abdul Najjar, 50, was arrested after a struggle and chase and charged with robbery in the third degree, assaulting a public safety officer, resist arrest, escape in the third degree, theft in the second degree, criminal mischief in the second degree, and felon in possession of a restricted weapon.

Najjar also had a parole violation warrant on an original charge of attempted assault in the second Degree and was booked into the Multnomah County Jail.

According to Portland police, the incident began at approximately 12:30 a.m. on June 3, when two transit division officers came across a fight in the area of Southwest 10th Avenue and Clay Street. When the officers tried to break up the fight, they were immediately engaged in a physical confrontation with one of the men, later identified Najjar, a Southeast Portland resident.

One of the officers attempted to use his Taser against Najjar. One probe stuck into Najjar, but the other missed and Najjar ripped the Taser away from the officer. The other officer also tried to use his Taser against Najjar, but it was ineffective, too.

Najjar then ran from the officers, barefoot, with the stolen Taser. Because an officer's radio broke struggle, one of them called 9-1-1 to provide updates as they chased him.

Additional officers swarmed the area and located Najjar at Southwest 2nd Avenue and Jefferson Street. Police say he again fought violently with several officers before being taken into custody.

Several officers suffered minor scrapes and bruises as a result of the struggle with Najjar, who transported to an area hospital for treatment to minor injuries before being booked into jail. Najjar appeared to be under the influence of intoxicants at the time of his arrest.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine