Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Firefighters rescue 89-year-old woman from burning home

UPDATE • Blaze blamed on faulty wiring
by: Courtesy of PFR, Portland firefighters battled a blaze on Northeast 27th Avenue that injured an 89-year-old woman. The blaze was caused by faulty wiring in the home’s second floor.

Portland firefighters rescued an 89-year-old woman from a burning Northeast Portland house Thursday evening.

The woman, whose name was not released, is in critical condition at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. Her stepson, who lives in the house, was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Fire investigators blamed the blaze on faulty wiring in the second-floor walls. The fire did about $80,000 damage to the nearly $600,000 home, investigators said.

According to Portland Fire and Rescue, at 7:30 p.m., firefighters from Station 13 (Lloyd Center) responded to a reported house fire located at 2402 N.E. 27th Ave. When the arrived, the firefighters found a man on the front porch shouting that his mother was inside the house and could not get out.

It took firefighters less than a minute to find the woman in the home's second-floor hallway. Firefighters faced high heat going up the home's stairway, and they could hear the fire above them in the attic, meaning they did not have much time for the rescue.

Medics provided first aid to the woman. Her stepson, who was waiting on the front porch when firefighters arrived, was treated at a local hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire, which caused extensive damage on the second floor and attic, was brought under control in about 20 minutes. No other injuries were reported.