Wildcats proved their mettle during Sandersons tenure
- Miles Vance
- Beaverton Valley Times - Sports
It isn't easy to start a new sports team, and exponentially harder to launch a complete slate of programs at a new school, but that's exactly what athletic director Mike Sanderson and a talented host of others were charged with back in 1994 when Westview High School opened its doors.
Almost from the get-go, Wildcat athletic teams have been successful, and have been so almost across the board.
The Westview football team made its first state playoff berth in the school's second year, and the Wildcat boys water polo team was the first to strike state gold, winning Westview's first state championship back in 1998.
There's been more gold too, and plenty of it since then, including the following state championship teams:
- The Westview boys water polo team in 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004;
- The Westview girls water polo team in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004;
- The Westview girls basketball team in 2000;
- The Westview boys tennis team in 2002;
- The Westview softball team in 2004;
- The Westview girls swim team in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008;
- The Westview boys swim team in 2009;
- The Westview boys soccer team in 2011;
- The Westview baseball team in 2011.