Featured Stories

Man injured in Gresham house fire

by: Jim Clark A grease fire spread to the oven vents and the attic in this Gresham home, leading to a case of smoke inhalation for the resident.

A Gresham man was treated for smoke inhalation after an early morning house fire.

Firefighters at about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23, responded to a call from a neighbor reporting flames coming from the roof of a house in the 600 block of Southwest Seventh Street, said Jim Klum, deputy chief for Gresham Fire and Emergency Services.

A 53-year-old man, who is the only person living in the house, was transported to Providence Portland Medical Center, where he was treated for smoke inhalation, Klum said. He was released on Tuesday morning.

Crews extinguished the fire, which was sparked by an earlier stovetop grease fire that the resident thought he'd fully extinguished. He didn't realize the fire had spread to stove's vent and attic.

Damage to the $190,000 house is estimated at $30,000.