Featured Stories

Spice grinder starts Hillsboro fire

Family forced to move out of apartment


A faulty electric spice grinder started a one-alarm first that damaged a Hillsboro apartment Saturday morning

Hillsboro fire investigators the blaze broke out at 11:25 a.m. in the kitchen of an apartment in Hillshire Downs, 1432 NE Carlaby Way. The family of four had been away and one member returned as firefighters arrived.

Fire crews entered the structure to find dense smoke to the floor. After they ventilated the unit, they found a small fire in the kitchen that had apparently been smoldering for quite some time. The apartment suffered extensive smoke damage throughout, causing about $75,000 in damages.

Investigators learned the family had purchased the spice grinder while in India. The do have renter's insurance. The apartment complex provided another unit for the family's temporary housing.