Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Spark of Learning

Electrical fire forces evacuation at LOHS


by: SUBMITTED - A small fire in an art classroom led to an all-school evaculation Sept. 12 at Lake Oswego High School.Lake Oswego High School students ended the day on an incendiary note Sept. 12 when a small art room fire lead to the entire school being evacuated.

“The fire was related to a power outage that occurred on Goodall Road when a tree came down and knocked out a power line, causing a power surge that set an electrical outlet on fire,” said Nancy Duin, LOSD director of communications.

Around 2:25 p.m., art teacher Katie Brink noticed a bank of four lights on a single switch contained in a fireproof wall-mounted unit smoking and popping. She quickly ushered her students out of the classroom and pulled a fire alarm, directing the rest of the school to exit the building.

“She did an excellent job,” said LOHS principal Bruce Plato.

By the time the school day ended at 2:40 p.m., the fire had been extinguished and students were permitted to reenter the building and collect their books before heading home.

“It was contained really quickly, but there was a really strong electrical smell so they had fans in there overnight,” Duin said.

Plato added: “It was a minor fire ... everyone got out and the switch was repaired and workable the next day.”