Residents safe, even though fire alarms did not go off immediately

by: WASHINGTON COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT - Fire officials say the damge to this home at 19590 S.W. Santa Maria Drive could have been much worse.An early Sunday morning fire heavily damaged the enclosed deck of a rural Hillsboro home, but firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading into the attic and becoming much worse.

Resident Robin Binkerd said he woke up to the smell of smoke in the home she shares with her husband Kevin at 19590 S.W. Santa Maria Drive around 3:30 a.m. on Sept. 23. She thought it might be cause by something in the oven because fire alarms were not going off, but when she went to investigate, four-foot-high flames were coming from their enclosed deck near their hot tub.

Robin and Kevin immediately called 911 and vacated the house.

Engine crews from Washington County Fire District arrived and were able to knock the fire down within minutes, but the home suffered about $50,000 in damages. Lt. Mick Carey said they were fortunate to have caught the fire before it spread to the attic area of the 4,000 square foot home.

Crews from Hillsboro Fire and Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue provided assistance under their mutual aid agreements.

By the time firefighters arrived, smoke alarms in the home were going off in the home. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine