Clackamas improves to 7-0-1 in 6A boys soccer

by: JAIME VALDEZ - Oregon City senior defender Blake Beneville (right) blocks a shot on-frame by Clackamas junior forward Chris Bardiano (22) during last weeks game at Clackamas. Clackamas won the game 2-1 and remained unbeaten on the season with the victory.CLACKAMAS — Two of the better high school boys soccer teams in the Three Rivers League — and perhaps in the state — battled tooth and nail here last Thursday, with the Clackamas Cavaliers prevailing 2-1, in a dogfight with Oregon City.

The two teams played to a scoreless tie in the first half. Clackamas went up 2-0 on goals by Jason Udland 15 minutes into the second half, and by Adan Trejo with just 13 minutes remaining in the game.

Oregon City scored with eight minutes left to play on a shot by Anthony Le.

Clackamas coach Anthony Trejo commended the Pioneers: “First of all, I give tons of credit to Oregon City. They have improved ten times from the team they were last year. They are young, but they battled hard and kept it a game ‘til late.”

Trejo said of his charges’ play: “This was the most complete game we’ve played all season. Our defensive unit, lead by Tyler Gustavson, Max Jette and Aiden Turner, played a solid 80 minutes of soccer....

“Offensively, we played with a lot of pace and put constant pressure on Oregon City’s defense. Adan [Trejo] and Jason [Udland] have been scoring all season long and they continue to come through in key situations for us....”

Udland’s goal came off an assist from Ian Tarnovsky, who headed the ball into the 18-yard box. Udland ran onto the ball and poked it past Oregon City’s goalie.

Coach Trejo said that both Udland and Aaron Ahlstrom assisted on Trejo’s game-winner.

He described that goal: “Jason won a 50-50 ball at the midline, and played the ball through the defense to a streaming Aaron Ahlstrom. Aaron one-touched it to Adan, who finished with a pressuring goalkeeper and defender on his back.”

Oregon City’s lone goal came following a corner kick. Tony Flores played the corner short, and Blake Leonetti passed it in. The ball bounced off a Clackamas defender and Le put it away.

Oregon City coach Myque Obiero commented on the game: “As anticipated, Clackamas had some pretty big kids, but I believe we more than held our own. The game, in all honesty, could have gone either way. We just happened to be on the wrong end of the score. It was a great physical game and I think both teams did a great job of battling it out ‘til the end.”

For Clackamas, the win, together with a 0-0 tie with Lake Oswego earlier in the week, left the Cavaliers (7-0-1, 3-0-1) in first place in the Three Rivers league.

Oregon City, which dropped a 2-1 heartbreaker to Lakeridge earlier in the week, slipped to 2-2-0 in league (5-2-0 overall). The Pioneers through play last week were the TRL’s top defensive team, having allowed seven opponents just five goals.

Clackamas finishes up the first half of the TRL season this Thursday, playing Canby (2-5-2, 1-2-1) on the road. Oregon City hosts cross-river rival West Linn (0-6-1, 0-4-0) on Thursday.

Clackamas goalkeeper Aiden Turner earned his second shutout of the season in last week’s scoreless game with the Lakers.

“Defensively, we played a great 80 minutes,” coach Trejo said. “Aiden Turner, our goalkeeper, made some big saves and owned his box the entire night.

“Center-back Tyler Gustavson has been huge for us all season. His consistent play has really kept the back line fluid. We had some chances on the offensive end of the field, but just were unable to convert.”

Mustangs hold their own

with the No. 4 Quakers

The Milwaukie Mustangs have struggled to put games in the win column, going 1-2-2 in preseason in games played through last week.

But the Mustangs continue to prove they can hold their own with some of the best teams around.

Last Thursday they took then fourth-ranked Franklin down to the wire in a 2-1 loss, after battling to a 1-1 standoff with Lebanon earlier in the week.

Milwaukie coach Roberto Aguilar had his charges with a 10-8 edge in shots on frame in the loss at Franklin. It was a game in which an official’s call played a part in the outcome.

Near the midpoint of the first half, Milwaukie goalie Randall Sam was tossing the ball out to his teammates after making a save, when an official blew his whistle and called Sam for a handball. The official ruled that Sam’s hand was still in contact with the ball as his followthrough on the toss penetrated the plane of the goal box. Franklin scored off the ensuing free kick for a 1-0 lead.

“You’ll never see a ref make that call in that situation,” Aguilar said. “The ref helped determine the outcome of the game.”

Milwaukie tied things up early in the second half, when Edgar Pantoja-Alvarez powered the ball home off a pass from a teammate.

The score remained 1-1 until the Quakers found the net off a scramble following a cornerkick with eight minutes to play.

“We played well,” said Aguilar. “It was a strong, physical and fast game, where both teams took chances....”

Senior Sergio Zunita-Luna scored off a pass from Alex Cacho-Barrera just 40 seconds into the game for Milwaukie’s only score in the tie with Lebanon.

Lebanon answered 25 minutes later on a long lob shot. And the two teams went scoreless the rest of the way.

Aguilar had his Mustangs with a 14-8 advantage in shots. Sam was in-goal for Milwaukie.

The Mustangs begin Northwest Oregon Conference play this Thursday, when they play St. Helens (1-4-0) on the road.

Falcons escape Gladstone

with a narrow victory

Third-ranked La Salle escaped with a 1-0 victory over cross-town rival Gladstone last Thursday, after yielding to seventh-ranked Molalla 2-0 earlier in the week.

The Gladstone game nearly ended in a scoreless tie.

Dakota Eisel saved the Falcons’ bacon, scoring with just four minutes left to play.

La Salle assistant coach Derek Ray described the goal: “The ball came bouncing in front of him and he half-volleyed it into the goal....”

Gladstone coach Tyler Lewis observed: “Dakota knocked the ball down at the top of the 18. It appeared, from our vantage point, that he dropped it with his arm.”

Lewis said that his strategy of “playing back and making them shoot long” and “counterattacking” nearly worked.

Lewis had the Falcons with a 26-1 advantage in shots taken and an 11-1 advantage in shots on-frame.

“This game was a very important win for us since it helped us bounce back after our disappointing loss at Molalla and put us in the top half of the league standings,” Ray said.

Commenting on the loss at Molalla, Ray said: “We made two uncharacteristic mistakes in our defensive third that led to two easy goals for them right before halftime. We came out in the second half and had the ball in their half more. We created a couple quality chances, but could not find the back of the net.”

Gladstone notched a league win on Sept. 25, blanking Madras 3-0 in a boys soccer game played at Gladstone.

“We didn’t play our best soccer,” Lewis said. “We weren’t connecting passes....

“But we got the bounces and the breaks, and we made the best of our chances.”

Lewis said his Gladiators’ got out-shot 15-7. But six of the Gladiators’ shots were on-frame and three of the six resulted in goals.

Gladstone keeper Joren Nielsen made eight saves.

Senior forward Ty Breshears headed up the effort for Gladstone, scoring late in the first half and near the midpoint of the second half for a 2-0 Gladiator lead. Ty Carlson assisted on the first goal.

Eveth Valenzuela scored unassisted with 14 minutes remaining to round out the scoring.

La Salle (6-1, 2-1) plays at Estacada (3-4, 0-3) this Thursday, while Gladstone (3-4, 1-2) plays North Marion (5-2, 2-1) on the road.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine