The scoring drought between the teams is broken as the Pacers win 3-1

by: MATTHEW SHERMAN - Lakeridge's Nick Rooney tries to head the ball away from Lake Oswego's Alex Krenek during the Pacers' 3-1 victory last week. The Lake Oswego and Lakeridge boys soccer teams had played 138 minutes against each other this year without anyone finding the back of the net. That drought finally came to an end on Tuesday and set off a wild final 20 minutes in the second game of the Civil War. After getting the scoring started, Lakeridge held off the Lakers for a 3-1 victory, moving the Pacers into second place in the TRL.

Lake Oswego had a few golden opportunities early in the game but the Lakeridge defense fended them off and the remainder of the game was very evenly matched.

Lake Oswego sent a number of crosses deep into the box but couldn't get the final touch to put a goal away. Reilly Kirk cleared a ball that got behind goalie Toby Holstein and Zach Goldstein headed a ball over the net on a shot by Lake Oswego's Alex Krenek to save another goal.

Lakeridge's Alec Ingraham had the Pacers' best chance in the first half, sending a hard shot just wide.

As the game progressed, Lakeridge steadily started to put more pressure on the Lakers. Brad Spencer opened the half with a hard-hit shot that was saved nicely by Lake Oswego's Chris Matushak.

Lake Oswego countered later in the half with a shot by Hunter Ware that was deflected and rolled dangerously in front of the net.

Lakeridge finally broke through with 21:49 to play. A deflection on a shot rolled to Bruno Homedes behind the defense and he knocked the shot in to give his team the lead.

The goal sparked Lakeridge and the Pacers capitalized on another opportunity eight minutes later. Ingraham got behind the defense and just beat Matushak to a loose ball and scored to make it 2-0.

“When you score a goal it always gives you a boost and you just want to make sure you don't make mistakes,” Lakeridge coach Erik Cronkrite said.

However, Lake Oswego would respond almost immediately.

Just 21 seconds after giving up the second goal, Kyle Gazzigli was taken down in the goal box. Matthew Fischer took the penalty kick and scored it, setting off a wild final 13 minutes.

The closing minutes of the game got chippy as is often the case in the rivalry.

Lakeridge finally put the game away with five minutes remaining on a shot by Tyler Rich.

Lake Oswego would rally from its first league loss on Tuesday with a 2-1 win over West Linn. The Lakers controlled the majority of the game and took a 2-0 lead before giving up a goal midway through the second half. Lake Oswego held on for the win to stay in contention for the league title.

Lakeridge fell to Clackamas 2-1 on Tuesday, getting multiples scoring chances but coming up just short. Lakeridge and Canby are currently tied for third place in the TRL.

“Everything's still wide open. We just have to take it game by game,” Cronkrite said.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine