Ive been shot. I know the shooter. It was over Xanax.

Point-blank shooting on Broadway leaves man dead, stuns lunch-hour shoppers and workers

A bandana-clad gunman shot and killed an acquaintance in downtown Portland late Monday morning after reportedly demanding the anti-anxiety drug Xanax.

Witnesses said he stood over the victim and shot him several times before casually walking way.

The names of both the suspect and victim had not been released as of press time Monday afternoon. The shooter remained at large, and police described him as a white male in his 40s and the victim as a white male in his 30s.

As the victim lay dying on the rainy pavement of Southwest Broadway, witness Susi Wallace said he told her: 'I've been shot. I know the shooter ... it was over Xanax.'

Witnesses to the shooting described a gunman who acted calm and assured. After firing the initial shots, the shooter stood over the victim and fired a second set of shots before walking north up Broadway.

Some of the bystanders gave chase, but they kept their distance as the gunman continued to brandish his handgun. Others tended to the victim before paramedics arrived.

The man died during surgery at 1:45 p.m. at Oregon Health & Science University Hospital.

The shooting took place about 11:35 a.m. in front of Bibo Juice at 622 S.W. Broadway, and may have been witnessed by dozens of pedestrians and workers who looked down from surrounding office buildings and fire escapes. The street was cordoned off just before noon as police spoke with business owners, many of whom saw the shooting.

Witnesses who knew the gunman and victim said that the two men knew each other because both had been treated at a Portland methadone clinic.

Witnesses also said the victim had a female companion, who was not hurt.

Wallace, 30, formerly an emergency medical technician in New York City, was waiting for a MAX train in Pioneer Courthouse Square when she heard seven shots. She ran a few feet south on Broadway where she found the victim in the street.

He was cold, shaking and in and out of consciousness, she said. She checked him quickly and said he had been shot six times in the leg, back and lower abdomen.

The victim told Wallace that a friend, a man named Robert, had demanded his Xanax. He did not provide the drug and said the man then pulled a small handgun and shot him.

One witness, Anika Tudorache, said she saw the shooting happen from her third-story window above Broadway: 'I saw him holding the gun and shooting over and over again. I saw one man falling down ... then he casually walked away.'

After three or four shots, the gunman paused, said a witness who asked not to be named. The victim, lying face up on the pavement, held his hands up to the gunman, saying, 'I didn't do anything!' The gunman, however, shot him three more times.

Another witness, James Weatherly, said he was in Cigarettes Cheaper, 625 S.W. Alder St., when he heard the gunshots. He then saw the man running down Broadway and began chasing him.

'He looked like he was out of it, like he was talking to himself,' Weatherly said. 'I thought he was high.'

Patrick Smith, an employee at Portland Cutlery, had stepped out for 'a breath of fresh air' when he heard five or six shots.

'I saw (the suspect) run in between cars on Broadway, and he walked right past me,' Smith said. 'I saw him fumbling with his gun, like he was going to reload. I didn't know if that's what he was doing, so I ran back into the store and locked the door.'

Smith said the man wore a plaid coat with buttons, with a fanny pack slung over his shoulder.

Witnesses said the suspect then commandeered a car, a silver Ford Taurus, and fled.

Karen Whitman, director of Pioneer Courthouse Square, was sitting at her desk on the seventh floor of the Pioneer Park Building when she heard three 'loud pops.'

Whitman, whose corner office overlooks the square, looked out the window to check the square.

While she was looking at the square, something to her left, or north on Broadway, caught her attention. She saw a man lying down in the street, face up, in front of the Bibo Juice store.

'The shooter stepped forward and fired three more times, point-blank, at the victim down in the street,' Whitman said. 'The victim was very still.'

The gunman started walking north on Broadway, still carrying a handgun, and entered the Marriott Hotel, she said. The shooter immediately exited the hotel, zigzagged across Broadway, and may have gone into Morgan's Alley, she said.

As Whitman witnessed this, she was calling 911 and asking her staff to take notes and contact the square's security.

A security guard with Portland Patrol Inc., with whom the square contracts for security, reported hearing gunshots and was the first person on the scene, Whitman's office said.