Portland State's opponent in this week's Vanport Invitational, North Carolina A&T, gave up 742 yards and 40 first downs but managed to hold off Jackson State 42-36 Saturday in Greensboro, N.C. The A&T defense forced eight turnovers before a home crowd of 18,436. The Aggies, who will face No. 10 PSU at 6 p.m. Saturday at PGE Park, had lost their opener 33-30 to North Carolina-Central.
PSU's players of the game in last week's 31-23 home victory over Stephen F. Austin were offensive guard Devan Kelley, defensive end Josh Ratliff and punt returner Hashim Hall. Stephen F. Austin won 30-13 at home Saturday over Big Sky Conference contender Montana State.
nÊThe Portland Winter Hawks have a lot to improve on in the Western Hockey League preseason, mainly in the most important part of the game: scoring goals. The Hawks managed only 23 shots on goal Friday and lost to Kamloops 5-2 in their exhibition opener. Portland, which graduated five of its top six forwards, played without five regular defensemen. Forward Brad Priestlay and new defenseman David Turon each scored a goal. The Hawks play Tri-City in Memorial Coliseum at 7 p.m. Friday.
• The hottest golfer on any circuit is Corvallis' Bob Gilder. He beat Tom Jenkins in a playoff Sunday at the Kroger Senior Classic in Maineville, Ohio. It was Gilder's fourth Senior PGA Tour win this season, the most by any player, and all in the last eight weeks. Gilder is solidly second on the money list with $1,926,709. Hale Irwin leads with $2,436,806.
nÊThe Buy.com Tour returns to Shadow Hills Country Club in Junction City this week for the $425,000 Oregon Classic.
• Two 1-0 losses to Vancouver knocked the Portland Timbers out of the A-League playoff.
• Former University of Oregon Joey Harrington made his NFL regular-season debut Sunday. He completed 4 of 11 passes for 41 yards late in Detroit's season-opening 49-21 loss at Miami. Ex-Oregon receiver Patrick Johnson caught an 18-yard touchdown pass for Jacksonville in its 28-25 loss at home to Indianapolis. Former Duck cornerback Alex Molden had a team-high six tackles, five solo, as San Diego clubbed host Cincinnati 34-6. Ex-Duck Maurice Morris ran back a kickoff 66 yards for Seattle in its 31-17 loss at Oakland.
Linebacker James Allen, a rookie from Oregon State, intercepted a pass in the end zone for a touchdown as New Orleans won 26-20 at Tampa Bay.
• What a difference Christine Sinclair makes. With Sinclair back from a stint for the Canadian national soccer team, the University of Portland women's soccer team evened its record at 2-2 with back-to-back road victories. Sinclair and Erin Misaki scored in a 2-0 win over Clemson on Friday. Sinclair's goal on Sunday gave the Pilots a 1-0 win over sixth-ranked Notre Dame and the title in the Notre Dame Classic.
The Pilots will host the Nike Portland Invitational from Friday through Sunday. UP plays Cal State Fullerton at 5:15 p.m. Friday, Nebraska at 2:15 p.m. Saturday and Denver at 2:15 p.m. Sunday.
nÊThe Portland Pilot men's soccer team lost Friday at Cal 2-1 in overtime and 2-0 Sunday at Stanford. The Pilots play Thursday at Fresno State, then host Seattle at 4 p.m. Sept. 18.
nÊPortland State's women, 2-1-1, tied Tulsa 2-2 in women's soccer on Sunday after losing on the road Friday 3-0 to Oral Roberts. PSU hosts Boise State at 4 p.m. Wednesday at PGE Park.
• Portland 150-pounder William 'Butch' Chapman suffered a fractured jaw, a possible career-ending injury, but raised his record to 6-0 with a majority decision over Jeff Horan in a supporting bout to the Roy Jones Jr.-Clinton Woods World Boxing Council title fight Saturday. Jones won on a sixth-round technical knockout at the Rose Garden. Portland heavyweight Joe Guzman's bout against Shane Harris was called off when Harris was judged unfit to compete.
• Chris Clancy of Warner Pacific won the Boxer Rebellion cross country meet Saturday at Pacific University. He finished in 25 minutes, 1.36 seconds, 36 seconds better than his meet record of 2001.