The best and the worst, as we see em
How about that Ð 2002, gone in the blink of an eye.
Let's not forget some of the year's highlights and lowlights for Northwest sports fans:
• Highlight: Ducks clobber Colorado in Fiesta Bowl, finish second in Associated Press poll, get Autzen Stadium expanded and refurbished (Phil Knight's renewed support for his school’s athletic program is a good thing).
• Lowlight: Rasheed Wallace claims third straight NBA technicals title with 27 ('I’m just coming at the refs with logic').
• Highlight: Joey Harrington finishes storied Oregon career as Heisman Trophy finalist, is No. 3 pick in NFL draft (Central Catholic kid walks on water).
• Lowlight: Joey Harrington has NFL's lowest QB efficiency ranking, misses last two games after heart scare (the guy is human, after all).
• Highlight: Ducks win Pacific-10 Conference basketball crown, advance to NCAA Elite Eight (and Jerry Green said you could never win at Mac Court).
• Lowlight: Blazers ousted in first round of playoffs by the Lakers, again (Bob Whitsitt's memo to himself: Better stock up with some more guards).
• Highlight: Pilots win NCAA women's soccer championship (Clive Charles for governor T-shirts sell out on The Bluff).
• Lowlight: Mariners win 93 games, still can't make the playoffs: (Lou Piniella's memo to himself: I'm outta here).
• Highlight: Oregon's Freddie Jones drafted by Indiana as 14th pick in NBA draft (heretofore known as 'Fred').
• Lowlight: Numerous drinking violations put Tonya Harding on thin ice (she's still one hell of a boxing prospect).
• Highlight: Portland gets in position for major league baseball franchise (all it needs is a $300 million stadium).
• Lowlight: Portland Family Entertainment's financial disaster imperils stewardship of PGE Park (but it didn’t lose as much money as the year before).
• Highlight: Blazers go on eight-game roll to forge into playoff picture (Mo Cheeks learns regular rotation isn't a DJ term).
• Lowlight: Ruben Patterson, Rasheed Wallace and Damon Stoudamire get into legal jams (but Wallace's Ts are down).
• Highlight: Steven Jackson wins Pac-10 rushing title, leads Beavers past Ducks and into Insight Bowl (Sophomore tailback looks like surefire NFL prospect).
• Lowlight: Beavers, Ducks, Huskies, Cougars lose bowl games by combined 144-68 count (but Boise State rules in Humanitarian Bowl).