Unfortunately our website is having issues today. We are working diligently to resolve this problem. Please come back later.
Your look for spring can help you remember times less trying
World events are dreary, and the weather's not much better. What's a girl to do? Dress up in colors and styles evocative of better times, of course.
Fifties postwar optimism is seen in ladylike dresses inspired by the movie 'Far From Heaven,' while the tough energy of the '80s punk movement is evident in edgy, hardware-embellished pieces.
Distant cultures continue to lend a romantic air to fashion, with chinoiserie reflecting the exoticism of the Far East.
military-inspired cargo pants and trench coats take on a playful mood this spring, bringing unexpected fabrics and colors into the mix.
In photos here and on page 2, several local retailers share their vision of the season, one best seen through rose-colored glasses.
Here are suggested pieces for spring 2003:
• Something in pink, the color of the season
• A short jacket, such as a fitted military style or an '80s inspired blouson style
• A pair of metallic sandals, especially bronze
• Satin for day, such as a skirt or dress
• A small cardigan, especially in a bright color
• A cropped pant, particularly in a cargo style
• Hardware details, such as a bold zipper or grommets
• A preppy piece, such as a fitted polo or a grosgrain ribbon belt
• A shorter skirt, either pencil-style or with a flippy hem
• A pretty dress, especially a shirtwaist style, for a vintage feel