Why I love this tree:
• The early spring flowers are white, frilly and showy.
• The flowers appear while the tree is still naked (before the leaves).
• The blooms smell good.
• It can be pruned into a small tree or left as a large shrub (10 to 15 feet tall and wide).
• It likes full sun and tolerates hot temperatures.
Tips for planting:
• Dig a hole as deep as the root ball, but make it twice as wide.
• Settle the root ball into the hole, making sure the top of the root ball is at ground level.
• Mix the remaining soil with peat moss: two-thirds original soil, one-third peat moss.
• Refill hole with amended soil, and tamp down to remove air pockets.
• Water well.