Evidence mounts toward charges
- Pamplin Media
- Portland Tribune - News
• Sept. 8, 2001: Hawash writes personal check to Patrice Lumumba Ford for $105.
• Oct. 8, 2001: Signs a quit-claim transferring title to his residence in Hillsboro to his wife, Lisa.
• Oct. 9, 2001: Transfers power of attorney to his wife.
• Oct. 14, 2001: Buys heavy winter clothing and backpack from REI in Tualatin.
• Oct. 24, 2001: Departs from Seattle aboard a Northwest Airlines flight, via Tokyo, to Hong Kong, with a return date of March 1, 2002.
• Oct. 27, 2001: Enters China via Guangzhou.
• Oct. 28, 2001: Registers at Shan Cheng Hotel in †rŸmqi, China.
• Oct. 30, 2001: Registers at Chini Bagh Guest House, Kashgar, China.
• Nov. 16, 2001: Returns to Hong Kong.
• Nov. 18, 2001: Returns to United States from Hong Kong on a Northwest Airlines flight.
• Oct. 3, 2002: Grand jury indictments returned against six former or current residents of Portland for conspiracy to levy war against the United States.
• March 20, 2003: Hawash is arrested at Intel after search warrants are executed on his residence, Intel and two automobiles; he is placed in solitary confinement at Sheridan Federal Prison.
• April 7, 2003: Federal Judge Robert Jones rules against releasing Hawash during detention hearing.
• April 28, 2003: FBI says Hawash has been charged 'by complaint' with several federal crimes, including conspiracy to levy war against the United States and conspiracy to contribute services to al-Qaida and the Taliban.
• April 29, 2003: Hawash is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges.
Source: Affidavit filed April 28, 2003, in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon