International Rose Test Garden
Where: 400 S.W. Kingston Drive in Washington Park
Roses: The garden has about 9,000 roses.
Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
Information: Call 503-823-2525 to reserve for picnics and weddings.
Web site: http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Parks/IntRoseTestGarden.htm
Schedule of events:
• 1 p.m to 9 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday Ð Portland Rose Society Rose Show, Lloyd Center Mall, Ice Pavilion
• 10 a.m. Sunday Ð Portland's Best Rose Contest, International Rose Test Garden
• 10:30 a.m. June 21 Ð Rose Garden Contest Awards, International Rose Test Garden
Store: The Washington Park Rose Garden Store (503-227-7033) opened in summer 2000.
Other large city public rose gardens:
• Ladd's Addition Rose Garden, Southeast 16th Avenue and Harrison Street; has about 3,200 roses
• Peninsula Park Rose Garden, 700 N. Portland Blvd.; has about 8,800 roses
Volunteers and friends:
Portland Rose Society, P.O. Box 515, Portland, OR 97207; 503-777-4311 (voice mail). Founded in 1889, the society is a nonprofit organization offering educational programs on rose culture and encouraging the use of roses in the landscape.
Volunteer opportunities in the International Rose Test Garden are available in both garden and nongarden work. Call 503-823-3636 or 503-823-5121.
Sources: http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Parks/IntRoseTestGarden.htm and Daryl Johnson, Portland Parks & Recreation