Unfortunately our website is having issues today. We are working diligently to resolve this problem. Please come back later.
Brugmansia (formerly Datura)
Why I love this plant
• The glossy purple flowers are 4- to 5-inch-long trumpets that hang elegantly from the stems.
• Most flowers open to show white on the inside, a lovely contrast to the purple outside.
• Its flowers are double, one inside the other.
• The leaves and stems are green with a purple tinge and look something like giant potato leaves (the two are related, after all).
• These shrubby annuals will grow 4 feet or more in one summer.
• They bloom prolifically until frost.
• Angel's trumpet has a wonderful fragrance.
Caring for angel's trumpet
• Plant it in full sun to part shade, where it will stand out.
• It makes a great patio plant, too Ñ a real conversation piece.
• Fast growth means the plant needs lots of water and fertilizer.
• Fertilize with a 20-20-20 fertilizer twice a week in summer.
• If winters are mild, this tropical shrub will winter over, but a real cold snap will kill it.
• Many people winter them over in garages or basements.
• Warning: This plant puts out seed pods that are poisonous and must be kept away from kids and pets.