Featured Stories

Get your furnace and fireplace ready for fall

Heating tips from NW Natural


Now is the perfect time to prepare for the fall heating season. To ensure your equipment is running safely and at peak efficiency when you need it most, NW Natural recommends scheduling a tuneup — now.

Contract technicians will clean and check your gas furnace and fireplace to make sure they're in good working order. These tuneups can prevent costly repairs, lower your monthly bill through efficient operation and protect your home from potential hazards.

"If your gas heating equipment is not properly sealed or ventilated, gas could leak into your home or cause carbon monoxide to build up," said Dawn Johnson, public information officer with NW Natural.

If you suspect carbon monoxide is in your home and experience sudden flu-like symptoms, find fresh air immediately and call 911. Carbon monoxide is odorless but a detector can alert you when it's in the air.

If you smell rotten eggs, it could be a gas leak. In that case, immediately leave your home on foot — not in a vehicle — and call NW Natural's 24-hour emergency line at 1-800-882-3377 from a safe location away from the odor. Never turn on or off battery-operated or electrical devices including a light switch near the odor because it may cause a spark.

NW Natural is headquartered in Portland. The business provides natural gas service to about 681,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Oregon and Southwest Washington. It is the largest independent natural gas utility in the Pacific Northwest.

To find a certified contract technician or the schedule a natural gas furnace and fireplace tuneup, visit nwnaturaloffers.com.