Man injured in fall from Chapman School chimney
- Portland Tribune - News
A man trying to climb Chapman Elementary School's tall chimney Tuesday night fell more than 20 feet and was seriously injured.
Portland firefighters were called to the school in the 1400 block of Northwest 26th Avenue at about 9:29 p.m., where they found the man in his mid-30s who had fallen from the chimney onto the school's first-floor roof. Paramedics stabilized the man, who suffered traumatic injuries in the fall, strapped him in a rescue litter and carried him down an aerial ladder.
The man's name was not released. He was taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center with what firefighters described as life-threatening injuries.
Chapman School's tall chimney is a popular place to watch swarms of Vaux swifts as they migrate. The man was apparently on a first date and decided to climb the chimney using one of its support cables when he fell.
A person in the park next to the school came to the man's aid and helped firefighters with the rescue.