Sherwood, trying to win its second straight title, falls to Summit in the Class 5A state championship match

by: DAN BROOD - EMOTIONS -- Members of the Sherwood girls soccer team, including (from left) Carley Mills, Meghan Schoen, Allison Schwarm, Jessica Imbrie and Annie Govig are overcome with emotion at the end of Saturday's state title match.HILLSBORO — Plain and simple, it just wasn’t the Lady Bowmen’s day.

But that sure didn’t seem to be from a lack of effort.

Or a lack of desire.

Or a lack of heart.

It very well just might have been a case of too much Summit, and too many penalty kicks.

The Sherwood High School girls soccer team came up just short in its bid to win a second straight state title as it fell 3-0 to the Storm in the Class 5A girls soccer state championship game, played Saturday at Hillsboro Stadium.

Summit got two of its three goals in the contest on successful penalty kicks.

“We played with all of our hearts,” Sherwood senior Meghan Schoen said after the match. “And I thought we played evenly with them.”

“Those two penalty kicks made it hard,” Sherwood senior Jessica Imbrie added.

Summit, the Intermountain Conference champion, finished its season with a final overall record of 15-0-2. The state championship is the Storm’s second in the past three years.

“They’re a very good team. Hats off to them,” Sherwood coach Bill Brown said. “But this game doesn’t define our season. We have a good bunch of kids. And I don’t think the final score was indicitive of the game. Our kids worked hard all year and they’re still winners in my book.” by: DAN BROOD - I GOT IT -- Sherwood senior goalie Kyeli Hendryx, with teammates Taylor Gersch (15), Emily Harris and Mikayla Howes, grabs a corner kick before Summit's Shannon Patterson (4) or Christina Edwards could get to it.

Sherwood, the No. 2 team out of the Northwest Oregon Conference, finished its season with a final record of 14-2-2. Saturday’s match also marked the third time in the past four years that the Lady Bowmen have played in the state championship contest.

“We’re second in state,” Sherwood senior midfielder Mikayla Howes said. “That’s pretty good. We’re proud of that.”

“It was a great season,” Sherwood senior defender Annie Govig added. “We all bonded as a family.”by: DAN BROOD - TROPHY TIME -- The Sherwood girls soccer team gathers around the Class 5A second-place trophy.

“We started the season as a team, and built on that,” Sherwood senior goalie Kyeli Hendryx said. “And we ended the season as a team. I’m really proud of my team.”

And that Lady Bowmen team looked to be fired-up early in Saturday’s state title tilt.

Three minutes into the contest, Hendryx sprinted out and then dived to knock the ball away from Summit sophomore Marina Johannesen, who was driving toward the Sherwood goal.

With 23 minutes and 35 seconds left in the first half, Imbrie, sprinting toward the Summit goal, just missed getting a foot on a cross by Howes from the right side of the field. Less than a minute later, Sherwood junior Emily Harris had a shot on goal from 25 yards out saved by Summit junior goalie Rachel Estopare.

But it was the Storm that ended up striking first. Summit took a 1-0 lead when freshman Christina Edwards scored on a sliding shot from eight yards out, from the left side of the field, with her attempt bounding into the right side of the Lady Bowmen goal with 18:51 remaining in the first half.

by: DAN BROOD - HEAD GAMES -- Sherwood senior Jessica Imbrie heads the ball upward during Saturday's Class 5A state championship match. Sherwood tried to answer back. A header shot by sophomore forward Sarah Garoutte off a cross by Howes sailed wide left of the goal with 10:03 left in the half.

Lady Bowmen junior midfielder Courtney Wunnicke then had back-to-back shots. The first, from 15 yards out, drifted left of the Summit goal with 8:48 left in the half. The second, coming just over a minute later, was deflected to a corner kick by Summit junior defender Meg Meagher.

However, as the first half was nearing an end, the Lady Bowmen found themselves facing a bigger deficit.

With 2:34 remaining before the intermission, Sherwood was whistled for a hand ball in the penalty box. Summit junior Hadlie Plummer booted the ensuing penalty kick into the right side of the Bowmen goal to give the Storm a 2-0 advantage, which it carried to halftime.

But it was a fired-up Lady Bowmen team that took the field to start the second half.

“Bill told us not to give up and to give it everything we had,” Harris said. “We did that.”

Still, despite Sherwood’s efforts, the Lady Bowmen were struck again by another whistle, as Plummer was fouled in the penalty box with 26:36 remaining in the match. Plummer then converted the penalty kick to give Summit a 3-0 lead.

“Maybe we fouled them. I don’t know,” Brown said. “But those are tough calls to make in the championship match.”

Still, the Lady Bowmen kept battling.

With 25:55 left to play, Howes had a free-kick shot on goal from 35 yards out, but Estopare made leaping block of the attempt. Seven minutes later, Howes had another free-kick attempt sail just high and wide of the goal.

With 12:42 left in the match, Garoutte had a running shot from 12 yards out that was deflected off the cross bar of the Summit goal.

The Lady Bowmen had another close call with just over seven minutes remaining to play. Garoutte had a hard-hit shot blocked on a dive by Estopare. The Summit goal was then able to pounce on the ball right before Garoutte and Imbrie got to it.

The Sherwood girls also kept playing hard on the defensive end of the field. With 3:20 left to play, Hendryx made a diving block of Plummer’s open shot from 10 yards out.

“This was my last soccer game,” Hendryx said. “I was determined to go all out the whole way and show my team they could trust me.”

Soon after, Summit was celebrating its state championship while the Sherwood girls, while disappointed with the loss, were left to look back on their strong effort and successful season.

“This hurts a lot,” Howes said.

“But we’re so proud of what we accomplish,” Govig quickly added.

“I think this was the closest team we’ve had,” Schoen said. “We would have liked to have won today, but it was still a great season.”

“It was a good season,” Harris said. “We worked really hard and we played for each other. We fought as hard as we could today.”

“We didn’t give up,” Hendryx said. “We played hard to the end.”

Summit had eight shots on goal in the contest, including the two penalty kicks, while Sherwood had seven shots on goal.

Other players for the Sherwood team include senior Mikaela Doherty, senior Rojia Stocker, junior Mckenzie Cottle, senior Carley Mills, junior Kai Morgan, freshman Allison Schwarm, sophomore Sydney Strohmaier, senior Taylor Gersch, senior Tear’sa Krieger, senior Michaela Pilkenton, freshman Taylor Cole and senior Natalie Thomas.

Denise Keesee is the team’s assistant coach.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine