Apollos pour it on in 63-0 rout of Reynolds
The Apollos have outscored their last three opponents 162-0
CEDAR MILL - It's possible that Sunset's last three non-league football opponents have not been Oregon's best.
But you can't argue with what the Apollos have done to those three lesser opponents, beating Forest Grove, Centennial and Reynolds by a combined score of 162-0, including a 63-0 wipeout of the Raiders on Friday night at Sunset High School.
The win lifted Sunset's non-league record to 4-0 while Reynolds fell to 2-2.
"We were just executing the plays we needed to execute," said Sunset senior quarterback Dane Poorman, who threw six touchdown passes against Reynolds. "Running the ball first, and then if we saw something that we needed to adjust to, making the adjustments we needed to make."
While that 63-point total probably made everyone sit up and take notice, the zero that the Apollo defense put up was pretty good too. Sunset held Reynolds quarterback Josh Schleining to 8-of-23 passing with one interception in the first half while the Apollos racked up a 42-0 lead.
"We were trying to address their screens, and just the way they play their offense, the zones," said Sunset senior linebacker Spencer Hall, who picked off a Schleining pass with 4 minutes, 10 seconds to go in the second quarter to set up his team's fourth TD. "They like to pass a lot so we were running a lot of coverages, and our 'D' line played well too. They put a good amount of pressure on the quarterback and made it easier for us to make plays."
And Sunset's offense made plays in bundles, scoring on the following plays:
- Poorman hit Evan Altorfer for a 36-yard TD pass in the first quarter.
- Reggie Coulter scored on a 2-yard run in the first quarter.
- Poorman hit Ryan Hendry for a 15-yard TD pass in the second quarter.
- Poorman hit Hendry for a 35-yard TD pass in the second quarter.
- Poorman hit Cole Abdie for a 34-yard TD pass in the second quarter.
- Poorman hit Hendry for a 30-yard TD pass in the second quarter.
- Poorman hit Abdie for an 83-yard TD pass in the third quarter.
- Bruce Jones scored on a 3-yard run in the fourth quarter.
- Jeremiah Ross returned a Reynolds punt 67 yards to score in the fourth quarter.
Next week, Sunset will host Jesuit at 7:30 p.m.