Points leaders hold on to win track championships
Come the season championship finale at River City Speedway on Saturday there wasn't much drama remaining.
All the points leaders going into the race were still the points leaders when the dust had settled. All most had to do was take a green flag in the main event to clinch their track titles.
In the premier Sportsman Division, Curt Nusom of Gresham easily held onto his title, and also won the trophy dash and was third in the main. Bud Russell, who finished third overall, would have fast time and win the day's main event.
Nusom's brother John would snag the Street Stock Division title, and finish fifth in the main event. Curt was right behind him in the main, a sort of victory parade. Curt also won a heat.
Doug Davenport of Vernonia has been tough to catch all season in the Modified Division, and he drove home the point Saturday with the fast time, a heat win, and a second place in the main event.
Young Joel Beehler, 18, moved into first in the Mini Stock (4-cylinder division) after his uncle Adam sold his car. The St. Helens racer kept the family honor intact by leading the rest of the way. He emphasized his domination of the class with the fast time, trophy dash triumph, and first place in the main event.
Dave Walters of Gresham cruised to the track title in the Pacific Mini Sprint Division. He finished sixth in the main event, good enough to clinch the title.
The Women's Division had a fairly close race most of the season between Kathy McMullen and Jenae Frelich. McMullen had the title wrapped up going in, but Frelich closed the points spread with a second in both the heat and main events.
Two young racers, Brad Martin, and Cody Smith, both 15, also made their mark at the track this season. Martin bested many adults by winning the Dwarf Car Division, and also taking second in the Street Stock points standings. Smith handily won the Tracer Division for beginning racers.
River City Speedway
Sept. 24 Official Results
Fast Time: Bud Russell, St. Helens 14.66. Trophy Dash: Curt Nusom, Gresham. Heat 1: Dave Houston, Portland; Matt Taylor, St. Helens; Bob Berg, St. Helens. Heat 2: Paul Liner, Olympia; Dennis Munger, Vancouver; Susan Nelson, Portland. Heat 3: Aaron Elwess, Fairview; Dan Smith, Scappoose; Devon Reed, Woodland. B Main: Berg, Taylor, Houston, Matt Jenner, Vancouver; Stephen Kaptur, St. Helens; Rick Graham, Portland. A Main: Russell, Reed, Nusom, Houston, Taylor, Berg, Larry Wetzel, Portland; Jesse Allen, Goble; Munger, Nelson.
Street Stock Division
Fast Time: Justin McMullen, Deer Island 15.90. Trophy Dash: Curt Nusom. Heat 1: Mike Crase, Portland; Aaron Snook, Portland; Ken Bryan, Toledo. Heat 2: Steffan Strawn, Deer Island; Gerardo Maya, Portland; Jeremy Wetherbee, Wilsonville. Heat 3: Curt Nusom, Brad Martin, St. Helens; McMullen. Main: Wetherbee, Martin, McMullen, Todd Newton, Portland; Brad Nusom, Gresham; Curt Nusom, John Haagenson, St. Helens; Maya, Bryan, Strawn.
Fast Time: Doug Davenport, Vernonia 13.76. Trophy Dash: Jeremy Martin, St. Helens. Heat 1: Clark Tenney, Scappoose; Brian Blasier, Scappoose; Mike Harrison, St. Helens. Heat 2: Davenport, Martin, Robert Jenner, Vancouver. Main: Martin, Davenport, Blasier, Tenney, Harrison, Curt Zelmer, Portland; Dave Walters, Gresham; Sam Jeffers, St. Helens; Mark Hill, Scappoose; Jenner.
Mini Stock Division
Fast Time: Joel Beehler, St. Helens 17.46. Trophy Dash: Joel Beehler. Heat 1: Tim Oyler, Warren; Lisa Oyler, Troutdale; Charlie Ingram, Estacada. Heat 2: Kyle Frelich, St. Helens; Jake Patterson, Portland; Travis Tolman, St. Helens. Heat 3: Darrin Rye, Deer Island; John Oyler, Warren; Joel Beehler. Main: Joel Beehler, John Oyler, Brad Beehler, St. Helens; Rye, Lisa Oyler, Joneen Oyler, Gresham; Russ Krein, Portland; Frelich, Jerry Wright, Warren; Mark Beehler, St. Helens.
Pacific Mini Sprint
Fast Time: Greg Lane, Portland 12.90. Trophy Dash: Lane. Heat: Lane, Dan Beck, Castle Rock; Tracey Titus, Manzanita. Main: Lane, Beck, Mike Opaka, Mesa, AZ; Vinny Villeggiante, Portland; Titus, Walters.
Fast Time: Ryan Martinez, Portland 14.14. Trophy Dash: Leo Hachler, Portland. Heat 1: Travis Tolman, Maureen Hicks, Portland; Steve McCleary, Portland. Heat 2: Clay Goben, Portland; Hachler, Martinez. Main: Martinez, Goben, Hachler, Brad Martin, Tolman, McCleary, Jenelle June Harrison, St. Helens; Hicks.
Fast Time: Jacki Graham, Portland 15.54. Trophy Dash: Jenae Frelich, St. Helens. Heat: Graham, Frelich, Kathy McMullen, Deer Island. Main: Victoria West, Scappoose; Frelich, McMullen, Tiffany Berg, St. Helens; Morgan Tenney, Scappoose.
Fast Time: Cody Smith, Scappoose 16.70. Trophy Dash: Smith. Heat: Smith, Jonathan West, Scappoose; Stephen Kaptur, St. Helens. Main: Smith, West, Kaptur.
Four Cylinder Late Models
Fast Time: Mike Christopherson, Portland 14.53. Trophy Dash: Dennis Pittsenbarger, Portland. Heat: Pittsenbarger, Bob Westcott, Portland; Jason Wesolowski, Portland. Main: Pittsenbarger, Westcott, Wesolowski, Christopherson.
Final Point Standings
1. Curt Nusom, Gresham 1,029. 2. Dan Smith, Scappoose 952. 3. Bud Russell, St. Helens 947. 4. Clyde White, Longview 863. 5. Aaron Elwess, Fairview 852. 6. Lisa Liner, St. Helens 823. 7. Sean Fox, Rainier 801. 8. Jesse Allen, Goble 774. 9. Bob Berg, St. Helens 769. 10. Devon Reed, Woodland 766.
Street Stock Division
1. John Nusom, Gresham 1,030. 2. Brad Martin, St. Helens 969. 3. Justin McMullen, Deer Island 964. 4. Rick Rehanek, Vancouver 896. 5. Mike Crase, Portland 824. 6. Ken Bryan, Toledo 806. 7. Curtis Zelmer, Portland 805. 8. RT Cutler, Portland 744. 9. Aaron Snook, Portland 727. 10. David McDaniel, Scappoose 698.
1. Doug Davenport, Vernonia 1,083. 2. Jeremy Martin, St. Helens 1,001. 3. Clark Tenney, Scappoose 945. 4. Sean Fox, Rainier 813. 5. Brian Blasier, Scappoose 798. 6. Sam Jeffers, St. Helens 773. 7. Zelmer 770. 8. Clint Petty, St. Helens 645. 9. Mike Harrison, St. Helens 602. 10. Robert Jenner, Vancouver 578.
Mini Stock Division
1. Joel Beehler, St. Helens 1,103. 2. Brad Beehler, St. Helens 884. 3. Tim Oyler, Warren 854. 4. Kyle Frelich, St. Helens 843. 5. John Oyler, Warren 809. 6. Lisa Oyler, Troutdale 799. 7. Charlie Ingram, Estacada 769. 8. Jerry Wright, St. Helens 708. 9. Darrin Rye, Deer Island 701. 10. Joneen Oyler, Gresham 574.
Pacific Mini Sprint
1. Dave Walters, Gresham 1,133. 2. Mike Opoka, Mesa, AZ 900. 3. Keith Everson, Marysville 690. 4. Dan Beck, Castle Rock 673. 5. Eric Dehning, Portland 599. 6. Jesse Shannon, Centralia 575. 7. Tracey Titus, Manzanita 545. 8. Darrin Pierson, Chehalis 303.
1. Kathy McMullen, Deer Island 1,081. 2. Jenae Frelich, St. Helens 1,044. 3. Morgan Tenney, Scappoose 976. 4. Tiffany Berg, St. Helens 966. 5. Victoria West, Scappoose 625. 6. Cori Rocks, Portland 274.
1. Cody Smith, Scappoose 1,049. 2. Baleigh O'Connor, St. Helens 897. 3. Jonathan West, Scappoose 831.
1. Brad Martin 1,049. 2. Jenelle Harrison, St. Helens 867. 3. Travis Tolman, St. Helens 464.