- Madras Pioneer - News
Marilyn G. Atchison of Pflugerville, Texas, died Oct. 15, 2001, at the age of 60. Mrs. Atchison was born in Madras.
She is survived by her husband of 41 years, Laurence H. Atchison of Pflugerville, Texas; daughter, Leilani Solberg and husband Donald of Pflugerville, Texas; son, Larry Atchison and his wife Melissa of San Jose, Calif.; and grandchildren, Hunter Solberg, Cody Atchison, Tyler Atchison and Kiana Atchison.
A memorial celebration was held Oct. 18 at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas, officiated by Dr. Jim Rigby. Arrangements were under the direction of Cook-Walden Capital Parks Funeral Home of Pflugerville, Texas.
Madras resident Edwin Dallis Harris died Oct. 13, 2001 at home. He was 56.
Mr. Harris was born Jan. 11, 1945 in Albany to parents Dallis Paul Harris and Jean Elizabeth Smith Harris. He grew up on a farm in Jefferson, Ore., where the family raised turkeys, sugar beets, grass seed, strawberries and peppermint. After graduating in 1963 from Jefferson High School, he attended Willamette University in Salem and received a bachelor of arts degree in English.
He and Connie Euler were married in 1968 and he worked in the property insurance industry, then returned to school to earn a doctorate of jurisprudence. He graduated from Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College in 1974 and moved to Madras to practice law and serve as municipal judge. He married Cindy Monchamp in 1991.
His great love was the outdoors, particularly plants and trees. As a child, he planted and tended tree seedlings on the family farm and during college he cruised timber for the Bureau of Land Management. Following 12 years in the legal profession, he went back to tree planting and managing the parks for the City of Madras.
He became Public Works Supervisor until illness led to his retirement in May 2000. In 2001, he received the first lifetime achievement award from Oregon's Urban and Community Forest Council, which honored him for his tree work. He was especially proud of the 350 trees of 50 varieties planted beside the Madras Industrial Park along Highway 26.
His other interests included collecting native plants, rafting, hiking, cross country skiing, fly fishing, singing, reading poetry, and studying the history of Oregon and the West as well as train history. He helped with the research and publication of "The History of Jefferson County" and was a charter member of the Jefferson County Historical Society and Museum.
He rafted the Deschutes, Snake, Colorado, Salmon, Owyhee, Rogue, Illinois, Santiam and John Day rivers. He hiked in the Wallowas and Cascades and Jefferson Park was one of his favorite places. Through it all, he was never without his camera.
Survivors include his wife Cindy Harris of Madras; daughter, Anne; stepsons, Dale and Clint Monchamp; brothers, Robert, Thomas and Richard; sisters, Paula, Martha, and Janet; and his many friends.
A memorial service was held Oct. 20, at the United Methodist Church in Madras. Memorial contributions have been suggested to the Madras Urban Forestry Commission in care of the City of Madras.
Madras resident Marjorie "Marge" Iles died Oct. 19 at East Cascade Assisted Living Center at the age of 87.
Mrs. Iles was born Oct. 8, 1914 in Myrtle Creek, Ore., to Otho I. Sellers and Anna Mabel Dyer Sellers Rhodes. She was a descendent of the Dyer, Sellers and Ady families that were pioneers in Douglas County in the mid-1800s. She graduated from Myrtle Creek High School in 1932, where she was valedictorian of her class.
She and William Ferroll Iles were married July 14, 1937, in Reno, Nev. In 1945 they ran the Mill Street Store in Springfield. They moved to Eugene in 1946 then back to Springfield in 1948, where they owned and operated Ferroll's Market on A Street. She worked as a clerk in several stores in Springfield, at WT Grants in Eugene for 11 years, and retired from Bi-Mart in Springfield. In September 2000, she moved to Madras to be near family.
Her special interests included working in her yard, crossword puzzles, watching ice skating on TV, knitting, playing the organ, and being with family and her friends at the Mt. Vernon Church of Christ in Springfield, and Sunday evening card games.
Survivors include her daughters, Lorelee Iles Dendauw and husband Frank of Madras, Bonnie Peters and husband Ed of Aloha; brother, Raymond Otho Sellers and wife Lucille of Myrtle Creek; grandchildren, Julie Lundy, David Dendauw of Madras; Russ Dendauw of Fallon, Nev., Dan Dendauw of Jacksonville, Fla., Diane Yoder of Aloha, Cathy Hill of Newburg, Traci Saltinski of Valencia, Calif., Christian Conrad of Hanford, Calif., Larry Wilkinson; and great-grandchildren, Chelsea and Kristin Lundy, Meghan and Cassi Drew, R.J. and Justina Dendauw, Jesse Roberts, all of Madras, Matt and Christopher Dendauw of Tennessee, Brianna Dendauw of Fallon, Nev. Danielle and Samantha Dendauw of Jacksonville, Fla., Grant and McKenna Yoder of Aloha, Brandon Peters-Hellervick, Jeremy Peters-McMahon of Newberg, Tom and Rim Wilkinson and Crystal Conrad of Hanford.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband Ferroll in 1988, brothers, Victor Earl and Harold Sellers, stepdaughter Nancy Wilkinson, and step-greatgranddaughter Traci Rene Conrad.
A celebration of her life will be held Oct. 30 at 1 p.m., at the Mt. Vernon Church of Christ, S. 42nd St., off Main Street in Springfield. There will be a reception in her honor at 12:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 24, in Madras at East Cascade Living Center, Building E.
Memorial donations in her name have been suggested to Hospice in care of Mountain View Hospital, or the the Juniper Branch of Family Finders, 21 SE D St., Madras, OR 97741.
Terrebonne resident David James Law died Oct. 4, 2001, or cancer. He was 58.
Mr. Law was born Jan. 5, 1943 in Caldwell, Idaho, to parents David Law Jr. and Mary Law and moved to Oregon in 1945. He grew up in Culver and helped his father on the family farm. He graduated from Culver High School in 1961, then attended the University of Oregon. He met his future wife in Madras in 1977 and on Sept. 16, 1978 married Terri Vardanega in Boise, Idaho.
They returned to Oregon in 1982 and he was the owner and operator of Quality Hearing in Redmond since then, and also helped found EartH20 Water Company, and was still a partner in the business.
He was a past president of the Central Oregon High School Rodeo Club, pas member of the Elks Lodge, enjoyed riding four-wheelers in the dunes, riding horseback, playing golf, and spending time with his family.
Survivors include his wife, Terri Law of Terrebonne; mother, Betty Law of Estacada; sons, Todd LaFontaine of Redmond and David LaFontaine of Corvallis; daughters, Angie Law and Michelle Law, both of Terrebonne; sister, Beryl Frenzel of Estacada, and brother, Roger Law of Twin Falls, Idaho. He was preceded in death by his father, David Hayes Law Jr.; one grandchild and Carlie Cunningham.
Funeral services were held Oct. 8, at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Redmond, with burial at the Terrebonne Pioneer Cemetery. Memorial contributions have been suggested to Hospice of Redmond, Sisters and Grant County, at 2265 West Highland Ave., Redmond, OR 97756. Redmond Memorial Chapel was in charge of arrangements.
Former Madras Catholic pastor Monsignor. William Sherald Stone died at his home Oct. 15, 2001, at the age of 85.
Mr. Stone was born April 28, 1916, in Athena, Ore., the sixth of seven children to Dr. Alvin Bernard and Gertrude Ann (Burnham) Stone. He grew up in The Dalles, where he attended St. Mary's Academy. After two years at the University of Portland, he entered St. Edward's Seminary and was ordained to the priesthood on June 15, 1943. He served as assistant pastor for four years at the Baker City Cathedral and three years at Klamath Falls with a year at Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., receiving a masters of arts degree. After 20 months as pastor of Dufur, he was assigned to the Chancery Office to assist and teach at St. Francis Academy.
In the summer of 1953, he became pastor of Chiloquin, and in January 1955, became the first resident pastor of St. Patrick Church in Madras, where he remained until October 1961. he then became pastor of Milton-Freewater, and in 1969 transferred to Redmond. That was followed by an assignment to Lakeview, then to the pastorate of St. Peter Church in The Dalles. He moved to the Dufur parish in 1981 and retired in 1983.
He served at Diocesan Superintendent of Schools from 1949 to 1962, from 1973 to 1977, and for an additional three years on a part-time basis after the Chancery office moved to Bend. He was named a Prelate of Honor with the title of Monsignor in 1980. He retired to Redmond, then moved back to The Dalles in 1999. In 1994, he received the Bishop Francis Pl Leipzig Award from the Archdiocese Historical Commission of Oregon. He authored the historical book "The Cross in the Middle of Nowhere, The History of the Catholic Church in Eastern Oregon."
He is survived by his sister, Genevieve Gutfleisch; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Dr. Alvin and Gertrude Stone; his sister, Sister Naadene Ann; his brothers, Gail, Kenneth, Rolland and Ralph.
Mass of Christian Burial was held Oct. 22, at St. Peter Catholic Church in The Dalles, with interment at The Dalles St. Peter Catholic Cemetery.
Memorials have been suggested to the Msgr. William Store Scholarship Fund at St. Mary's Academy, 1112 Cherry Heights Road, The Dalles, OR, 97058. Arrangements were under the direction of Spencer, Libby and Powell Funeral Home of The Dalles.