Nothing has been decided

Westview leads 2-1 for 29 minutes, 42 seconds before Jesuit ties it late
by: Miles Vance EARLY LEAD — Jesuit senior Keenan dePinna celebrates after scoring the first goal in his team’s 2-2 tie with Westview in Metro League play on Monday night at Jesuit High School.

BEAVERTON - Expectations played a huge role in Monday's Westview-at-Jesuit boys soccer game.

The contest ended in a 2-2 tie, but thanks to those expectations, the youthful Crusaders walked off much happier than the Metro League favorite Wildcats.

The result left Westview in a first-place tie with Beaverton and Sunset at 1-0-1 in Metro League play (5-0-1 overall), while Jesuit moved to 0-1-1 in league (and 3-1-2 overall).

'Westview is said to be pretty good and we worked hard and we got a point out of it,' said Jesuit senior midfielder Keenan dePinna, who scored his team's first goal. 'It's big time, for sure.'

'They had more shots than us so we were lucky to come out with the tie, but we worked hard to the end,' said Jesuit sophomore midfielder Christo Michaelson, who headed home the game-tying goal with just 2 minutes, 47 seconds left on the clock. 'We're happy with the (tie), but we still have some work to do.'

'Westview's probably the best team in the state … so anytime you even come close, you have to be happy with it,' added Jesuit coach Chris Thurley, who led Jesuit to the 2010 Class 6A state title. 'I'm pleased with the result.'

The Wildcats, as previously mentioned, opened league play with a 2-0 win over Aloha on Sept. 22, but were far less satisfied with Monday's outcome.

'We heard that Sunset beat (Jesuit) 4-1 so we thought that it was going to be easy,' said Westview senior midfielder Jesse DeLeon, who assisted on his team's first goal. 'Our mindset was so wrong. We thought it was going to be an easy game for us but it turned out to be a really hard game.'

'We just kind of gave up for 25 minutes, and it was like we were waiting for a goal to happen,' said Westview senior forward Jaime Velasco, who scored both his team's goals on Monday. 'We just didn't put them away.'

'Finishing is huge for us and we failed to take advantage of some opportunities,' added Westview coach Tom Lathrop. 'We need to finish. The boys know that. They're disappointed with this tonight.'

Jesuit kicked the game off in style, breaking through for a 1-0 lead on its first shot on goal. There, Jesuit sophomore Antonio Porreco took a throw-in near the top of the Westview penalty box on the left side of the field, then crossed it to dePinna at the edge of the goal area. dePinna turned past Westview defender Andrew Knauer and knocked the ball past Wildcat keeper Yoji Ishizuka for a 1-0 lead with 32 minutes, 57 seconds remaining in the half.

That lead, however, lasted for just over two minutes. Velasco got his team back to even when DeLeon crossed the ball into the Jesuit penalty box from the right sideline. Velasco made his way between Jesuit's defenders, got to the ball at the near post and headed it home to dead-lock the score at 1-1.

Velasco wasn't done either. He pushed his team into the lead at 2-1 less than five minutes later, taking the ball on the right side of the Jesuit goal and driving it over Crusader keeper Ryan Sidley and into the net.

And for the longest time, it looked like that lead would hold up.

Further, it looked very much like Westview would add to its edge midway through the first half, but senior Chris Funaki missed a header from point-blank range and the Wildcats carried that 2-1 lead to halftime.

Jesuit came out strong after the half and had two great chances to score midway through the final 40 minutes, but neither came to fruition. On the first of those, dePinna collected a throw-in in the Westview penalty box and drove a hard shot that Ishizuka stopped with a diving save with 18 minutes left to play. On the second, Davis Chimento had an open shot from 12 yards out of goal two minutes later, but Ishizuka was again up to the challenge and kept the score at 2-1.

Westview's best chance to score in the second half came with 10 minutes left to play when DeLeon hit a screamer at the Jesuit goal that Crusader keeper Harry Clair barely tipped over the crossbar.

But Jesuit got the equalizer with 2:47 left on the clock when dePinna crossed the ball to the far post from the right side of the field. Michaelson met the ball in the center of the field just three yards out of goal and headed it home to the right corner for the final 2-2 margin.

'It was a great ball by Keenan. I was lucky to put it in,' Michaelson said. 'It was a good finish at the end.'

'I just tried to whip in a good ball and he got under it,' dePinna said. 'It all came down to who wanted it more and we wanted it more.'

'It was basically just mental mistakes throughout the game that cost us,' Velasco said. But 'I think it was good for us because we came in too high-headed so I think it was good for us. We'll be ready.'